More threads by NightOwl

NightOwl

Just something I've been questioning lately. Disassociation / splitting has become part of my life since I was traumatized, (this I'm already working with a therapist and trying to resolve), but at the same time I wonder if the man that hurt me, or any other criminals, tend to disassociate / split from the crimes they have committed, therefore not having to cope with a conscience, or do they not have a conscience at all?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, or at least not the vast majority. What they do (the ones who are not psychopaths and who simply don't care) is use what criminologists call "techniques of neutralization", basically rationalizations for their criminal behavior that absolve themselves from having to feel any remorse.

NightOwl

Thank you for your reply David.

I've been told by the Police Officer in charge of the case that this man is a Walter Mitty type of character; I'm not sure if he entirely recognizes his crimes or if he lives in his own type of World, absolving himself of anything that he does. He also has a very bullying and controlling personality.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That description could probably fit a lot of criminals. If you follow the link to techniques of neutralization above, you may find it of interest.

Yuray

I'm not sure if he entirely recognizes his crimes or if he lives in his own type of World, absolving himself of anything that he does
The term 'criminal' is very subjective. There is a difference between someone who steals from a store as opposed to someone who robs a bank as opposed to someone who violates another person. From many years experience with the criminal justice system, and penal institutions, I can say that most criminals do have a conscience, and their crime was precipitated by poor judgement. All in all, they know right from wrong but were willing to take a chance that they might succeed. Most are repentant, and sorry, only because thet got caught perhaps, but don't offend again.

People that violate another person know better, but choose to satisfy an urge, and are not usually remorseful. These are truly criminals, whether caught or not. They are as well a small percentage of 'criminals'. I have known none of this type that were remorseful. Davids link is most interesting.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.