More threads by Chain Lightning

My therapist said I might have ADHD but not for sure. The hyperactivity part, I have that down LOL. I'm not asking for anyone on here to tell me if I have it but just not sure if I understand exactly what the description here means for the ADD symptoms I might have:

1. often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities

Sometimes I make careless mistakes (doesn't everyone) because I rush through doing things not from lack of attention I don't think but because there's other things I want to do or I'm so enthusiastic about having it finished that I forget to recheck or just choose not to because I'm too excited about sharing it.

2. often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities

Could that mean: I feel like there are 2 or 3 things I'd like to be doing and literally run back and forth between them trying to do them all at the same time.

4. often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace

I do that if I disagree with the instructions or just hate the idea of doing it all together but not because I am un-aware but I don't know if that counts or not.

6. often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)

Yes if it interferes with working on some current master plan I have :D

8. is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

I'm extremely annoyed by stuff like people asking me questions or talking to me *if* I am really into what I am doing...does that count?

9. is often forgetful in daily activities

Daily activities yes because I can be thinking/talking about something and completely forget what I was going to say right in the middle of it.

ladylore

Account Closed
Re: do these count as symptoms?

Would your therapist be able to refer you to a good doctor who would be able to help. If yes, bring this to the appointment.

I have experienced many of the items on the list. But they were attributed to PTSD.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Diagnosis is more than just a list of symptoms, CL. That's why we disocurage online diuagnosis or self-diagnosis and put so much emphasis on diagnosis by a trained porofessional in a face-to-face process.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.