More threads by moondust

moondust

I'm just wondering because I've been noticing over the past year or so, my husband has been experience some manic signs when he gets overly stressed. I already know that anxiety can trigger insomnia and irritibility, but besides those symptoms, I've noticed that he has forced speech during these episodes. Being bipolar myself, I already know what it's like. He tells me his mind is racing so fast that his tongue can't keep up, gets tongue-tied, and takes the long, roundabout way in talking and explaining things. Sometimes even talks too much when he gets like this. He's never been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but has been diagnosed with dysthymia/anxiety issues in the past. But even though he has the racing thoughts/forced speech, he still goes through the self loathing at the same time. So I don't know if these are some kind of mixed episodes, or if anxiety in itself can cause some manic symptoms in an otherwise non-bipolar person. I know he needs to see a doctor about this, but he's uninsured and we're broke.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I know he needs to see a doctor about this, but he's uninsured and we're broke.

Assuming you are in the US, 2-1-1 is one way to find local resources. Also: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/therapy-...g-mental-health-care-when-money-is-tight.html

or if anxiety in itself can cause some manic symptoms in an otherwise non-bipolar person.

I would use the term "manic-like" symptoms, especially since one can have both bipolar disorder and anxiety. But yes, e.g.

pressure of speech is a symptom of mania, anxiety, or schizophrenia.

pressure of speech - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similarly:

Often, the clinician must determine when psychomotor acceleration, tension, or agitation are best explainable by an anxiety disorder, hypomania, or by a combination of the two symptoms.

Primary Psychiatry: Differential Diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.