More threads by lallieth

lallieth

I have always wondered if it works..I do not see it working as well as face to face talk therapy,because I would think that receiving feedback from the therapist via email etc wouldn't be as effective

Thoughts?

Halo

Here are some of the Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Therapy that I found from this Online Counselling website:

The advantages include:
  • you may feel freer to be yourself online
  • you may feel more comfortable receiving therapy in the privacy of your home
  • you may feel more comfortable writing about your problems than talking about them
  • you may write about what is bothering you sooner than if you were talking - this can bring faster resolutions to problems
  • writing may help you to think through your problems and to feel your emotions - it can bring focus, clarity, insight, and emotional relief
  • you can read and re-read your emails, and chat transcripts
  • writing enhances your relationship with yourself
  • there are more therapists to choose from online
  • you can email your therapist any time of day
  • you can take as long as you want to write

The disadvantages include:
  • online therapists don't have access to important information about you without face-to-face sessions, however, having phone sessions as well can provide your therapist with more information
  • there can be more misunderstandings by email and therefore a greater need to explain things and ask questions. This can be an advantage too as it encourages our being clear and asking questions - something some people are afraid to do in-person
  • some problems cannot be resolved online
  • confidentiality cannot be guaranteed over the internet
  • online therapy is relatively new - although writing as a form of support is not new - and so it's still in its infancy as a form of therapy

dark

..."Does Online Therapy Work?"... A very good question.

I posted the following on another forum:

"I've tried 'talk therapy' and no meds once with a counselor only for a brief couple sessions. I got impatient because I thought she was not listening and comprehending carefully -- I was doubting my delivery too. It was strange, we communicated better via email, but she wanted me to come to the office and rightfully so. I dumped her soon after, the dynamics were awkward and uncomfortable."

"Actually I hated the whole experience, but might give it another go with someone else, or not. The money wasn't an issue, my insurance covered a good portion, but a hassle overall."

Halo

So basically what you are saying is that for you online therapy would probably work better than face to face therapy due to your preferred style of communication.

dark

So basically what you are saying is that for you online therapy would probably work better than face to face therapy due to your preferred style of communication.

Yes, that's correct or at least based on the one limited experience. I've doubted my verbal communication skills all my life. Others this may not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halo

I would think that by attending face to face therapy that it may actually help you build your confidence regarding verbal communication as well as give you more practice in a safe, non-judgmental environment.

dark

I would think that by attending face to face therapy that it may actually help you build your confidence regarding verbal communication as well as give you more practice in a safe, non-judgmental environment.

In theory one might think that would be the case, but 'face to face' was anything but a confidence builder. I didn't feel judged, but not comfortable; from her responses she wasn't listening either. The 'environment' was OK, I just didn't feel the situation was accomplishing anything.

I'm OK without at the moment. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

lallieth

I think with face to face talk therapy,at least for me,the therapist can gauge my physical and emotional reactions to certain topics,that just can't be done online or over the phone and I think these physical/emotional cues help both the patient and the therapist discover alot more than just what is being said..Does that make sense?

There is something to be said about having face to face contact,I would think with online therapy there lacks the human compassion and warmth that alot of people need,but can get one on one with their therapist.

While I can understand,online therapy is a good way for certain people to go,I would miss that therapist/patient face to face interaction.

Banned

Banned
I know for me that even in basic communications with my therapist, things have been misconstrued and misunderstood, creating problems between us. Some of my friends have done online therapy and found it much better than face to face, so I guess it would depend on what issues you're seeking therapy for and both parties ability to communicate via email. I do communicate some of my deeper issues via email to give my therapist a head's up if I know I'll have trouble bringing it up, but I couldn't imagine, for me, that being our exclusive mode of communication.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A couple years ago, I had a few short e-mail sessions with a licensed therapist who I didn't know before. It passed the time, which isn't saying much at all. I felt like I was just getting feedback from my venting. I was, however, motivated to go back to seeing a regular, in-person therapist, which was very helpful.

dark

Maybe part of the problem I was "out of my element" and/or super nervous; I probably sounded like a rambling idiot not making sense. The therapist 'appeared' sincere, but felt we didn't make any connection whatsoever. I have no problem making eye contact, but 'face to face' was intimidating. I was cramming my entire life of 'issues' into 50 minutes, I felt restricted time-restraints. Online therapy seemed more relaxing and intimate, strange as that sounds; plus I could think before responding.

Last edited:

lallieth

Maybe part of the problem I was "out of my element" and/or super nervous; I probably sounded like a rambling idiot not making sense. The therapist 'appeared' sincere, but felt we didn't make any connection whatsoever. I have no problem making eye contact, but 'face to face' was intimidating. I was cramming my entire life of 'issues' into 50 minutes, I felt restricted time-restraints. Online therapy seemed more relaxing and intimate, strange as that sounds; plus I could think before responding.
I can understand where you are coming from...I am sure we all sound like rambling idiots during therapy,but I realized that during my ramblings,I got many lightbulb moments,where things seem to suddenly "connect" and I think this is because,when we are rambling,ideas and answers start to pop in our heads,almost like "thinking on the spot"

Now I AM rambling LOL

dark

I can understand where you are coming from...I am sure we all sound like rambling idiots during therapy,but I realized that during my ramblings,I got many lightbulb moments,where things seem to suddenly "connect" and I think this is because,when we are rambling,ideas and answers start to pop in our heads,almost like "thinking on the spot" Now I AM rambling LOL

No, you don't sound like rambling. Maybe I got impatient and didn't give it changc, but knew in my heart she wasn't the one for long-term therapy. Thinking of stuff 'on the fly" can be challenging because I can go blank; 'starting' a discussion of all the abuse brought on by my father and deceased brother and sister seemed like too much data to even get our arms around in multiple sessions.

Frankly I don't know what to even expect with therapy.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I was cramming my entire life of 'issues' into 50 minutes, I felt restricted time-restraints.

Some online therapists, like the one I used, charge per word. So I felt I got a better value-- per word -- talking to a therapist than writing to one. And I got all the non-verbal communication for no extra charge :)

So I would point out that some of the benefits of online therapy can be brought to regular therapy by giving the therapist a written note as a way of initiating the session.

lallieth

No, you don't sound like rambling. Maybe I got impatient and didn't give it changc, but knew in my heart she wasn't the one for long-term therapy. Thinking of stuff 'on the fly" can be challenging because I can go blank; 'starting' a discussion of all the abuse brought on by my father and deceased brother and sister seemed like too much data to even get our arms around in multiple sessions.

Frankly I don't know what to even expect with therapy.
Na I think you gave it a chance with that particular therapist.I think that you need to connect with your therapist so that you can both benefit from a good patient/therapist relationship,and it sounds like you didnt make that connection with yours.

I understand about too much to talk about and not enough time,feels like we have SO much to say and we cant say it all in one session,but here I think is where the real work starts to begin.Because we can only talk about so much IN therapy,we are almost forced to start thinking about our important issues on OUR own and working through them.

I mean who can talk for an hour about something that important,then just STOP when the therapy session ends? I certainly can't and so I can either "hold" it (which is hard) or continue thinking about it and try and deal with it,self therapy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.