More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The background checks of most private rescues scare away good people (from the uncertainty or processing time alone). But the background checks do not commonly address one form of animal neglect -- not taking a dog or cat to a vet when s/he continues to be sick or ill. And, of course, prevention is the best medicine.

So the place to address this more systemic issue is not at infrequently-used pet rescues but with legislation, such as providing true pet insurance for everyone, or at least everyone on Medicaid/Medicare. One vet wrote a whole book on this idea.

The whole "we need to call your landlord" issue could be addressed by legislation that prevents landlords from discriminating against pet owners.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The background checks of most private rescues scare away good people (from the uncertainty or processing time alone). But the background checks do not commonly address one form of animal neglect -- not taking a dog or cat to a vet when s/he continues to be sick or ill. And, of course, prevention is the best medicine.

So the place to address this more systemic issue is not at pet rescues but with legislation, such as providing true pet insurance for everyone, or at least everyone on Medicaid/Medicare. One vet wrote a whole book on this idea.

The whole "we need to call your landlord" issue could be addressed by legislation that prevents landlords from discriminating against pet owners.

Up here, it seems you can say in the lease that no pets are allowed but as far as I know if you slide in a cat a month or two later that's not grounds for eviction unless the landlord can prove destruction of property.

Dogs are another matter though. They bark, for one thing. And a lot of people, especially from certain ethnic backgrounds, are afraid of dogs or find them offensive in some other way.

In my building, they only specify no dogs.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I woke up this morning to a horror story on the CBS morning show about a 22-year-old (small-framed) woman who was mauled (almost to death) by two large dogs while pet sitting. She is permanently disfigured, especially her face. She also needed to be resuscitated during the night of her emergency surgeries. She previously met the dogs, who seemed nice at the time.

It is a very rare case but a reminder to avoid pet sitting or volunteering alone around large dogs if you are not able to sufficiently fight back somehow.

Just last month, a 71-year-old woman in Miami was mauled to death while fostering a large, previously-abused dog.

Of course, most large, domesticated dogs are more like gentle giants, including my 65-pound black mouth cur, who likes to rub noses with one of the cats.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I woke up this morning to a horror story on the CBS morning show about a 22-year-old (small-framed) woman who was mauled (almost to death) by two large dogs while pet sitting. She is permanently disfigured, especially her face. She also needed to be resuscitated during the night of her emergency surgeries. She previously met the dogs, who seemed nice at the time.

It is a very rare case but a reminder to avoid pet sitting or volunteering alone around large dogs if you are not able to sufficiently fight back somehow.

Just last month, a 71-year-old woman in Miami was mauled to death while fostering a large, previously-abused dog.

Of course, most large, domesticated dogs are more like gentle giants, including my 65-pound black mouth cur, who likes to rub noses with one of the cats.

These days the breed of dog is rarely reported so as to be politically correct and not to run afoul of activists (notably the pit bull / bull terrier protectors). However, when they used to report those statistics, more than 90% (my memory says about 96%) of these attacks were committed by just three breeds, chiefly bull terriers. It's not just the sheer number of attacks, it's the severity of the attacks up to and including fatalities — that graph highlights the same three breeds: Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler.

Interestingly, Chihuahuas are often described as aggressive. I guess we should be thankful they aren't much bigger where they could do more damage (cf. the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from the Ghostbusters 1. If you haven't yet seen the latest version, Ghostbusters: Afterlife is worth a watch if only for the scene of bags of Stay Puft Marshmallows in a grocery store all turning into tiny Stay Puft Marshmallow Men and bursting out of their bags (similar to the baby gremlins in Gremlins.

I make these points not to holler from my soapbox and condemn these breeds but rather as a warning and a caution. If you are hoping to have a family one day or already have young children, think twice about having an aggressive breed as a pet. It's not the size of the dog (Golden Retrievers are wonderful family pets) it's the genetics in breeding and over-breeding for aggression to be used as guard dogs, attack dogs, armed forces dogs, etc.

Whatever breed you use, make sure you read up on disposition, common genetic problems resulting from over-breeding (e.g., painful hip problems in German Shepherds may cause then to react in an atypical aggressive-defensive manner because they are in pain). Know what you are getting into with a blended animal-human family may help you avoid a tragedy.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Even PETA, the largest animal-rights organization in the world, supports breed-specific sterilization for pit bulls. “Pit bulls are a breed-specific problem, so it seems reasonable to target them,” said Daphna Nachminovitch, PETA’s senior vice president of cruelty investigations. “The public is misled to believe that pit bulls are like any other dog. And they just aren’t.”

Even the ASPCA acknowledges on its website that pit bulls are genetically different than other dogs. “Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight,” it says. “They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and they’re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent."

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Small size may make dogs more fearful, and they may lash out in self-defense, Serpell said. Tiny breeds may be more likely to react defensively because they have more to be afraid of...

Over the millenia, humans may not have bothered to breed aggressive behaviors out of little dogs because the consequences weren't as dire as they were for being attacked by sizable hounds.

That last theory is supported by studies that have found a link between aggressive behavior and the growth factor gene that makes small dogs small. The association could be coincidental, but research has shown that small dogs aren't just more extreme in their aggression-related behaviors; compared with large dogs, small dogs tend to have more severe separation anxiety, usually bark more and are more likely to urinate in the house, Serpell said. This gives credence to the theory that genetics plays a role in little dogs' extreme behavior.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

1. Wrestle

If you play-wrestle with your pooch, you’re showing him that rough or physical interaction is acceptable, says Michael Baugh, a Houston-based dog trainer and certified behavior consultant.

Some dogs handle this well and understand it’s a game that only happens when you initiate it. But others can get overexcited or take things too far.

They may try to jump on you, knock you down, or even bite you or other people at unpredictable times, says Baugh.

How to handle it: Teach him how to associate playtime with very specific actions and commands.

For example, get down on all fours with him and say “let’s play” before roughhousing. End by saying “settle,” petting him calmly, and encouraging him to sit.

But not all dogs can handle this, says Baugh. If your dog gets too amped up or doesn’t understand the boundaries of playtime, leave the wrestling to the guys in spandex.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The two dogs who attacked the 22-year-old woman were a pit bull (mixed with boxer) and a German Shepherd mix. It seems the pit bull mix may have been the instigator.

Pit bulls are the most common dogs in shelters here -- and the majority of dogs in Phoenix shelters.

Among the smaller breeds, Chihuahuas and Dauchunds are relatively common in shelters and are my two favorite breeds since I am most familiar with them. And I relate to their anxious natures :)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I was glad to read there is a ban of pit bulls in Miami, Florida (actually, all of Miami-Dade county). And as you know, there is also a ban in Ontario:

Ban
[Ontario]
No person shall own, breed, transfer, abandon or import a pit bull, nor allow one to stray, nor train a pit bull for fighting.[28]

"Pit bull" includes a pit bull terrier, a Staffordshire bull terrier, an American Staffordshire terrier, an American pit bull terrier, or a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those.[28]

Pit bulls were grandfathered(called "restricted pit bulls") if they were owned by an Ontario resident on August 29, 2005, or born in Ontario within 90 days afterwards. Such dogs are subject to restrictions: they must be muzzled and kept on a leash no more than 1.8 meters long when in public or not on enclosed property, and they must be spayed or neuteredunless a veterinarian certifies the dog is physically unfit to be anesthetized.[29]

If it is alleged in a proceeding that a dog is a pit bull, the onus of proving that the dog is not a pit bull lies on the owner of the dog. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, a veterinarian's certificate attesting that a dog is a pit bull is evidence of that fact.[28][29]

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
RE: SNACKS (My dog's favorite subject)

I often give them commercial dog treats, including dental treats. And the dog kibble for dental health is great as a treat since it is larger and easy to hand out.

But since treats can be problematic since many dogs are overweight, I also give them lighter snacks and sometimes lighter meals.

My dogs generally like most fruits, including apples, tomatoes, berries, pineapple, and watermelon. I am still surprised how much they like slices of tomato. I mostly hand feed the fruits, but I sometimes serve it with yogurt, oatmeal, or commercial dog food.

They also like broccoli, especially cooked broccoli, cooked potatoes, corn, green beans, peas, carrots, etc.

They will eat plain/greek yogurt, which can be served as a treat or added to their regular food. Lately, I serve the yogurt with a low-calorie gravy (which is sold for cats but the dogs love it). It is almost like mashed potatoes and gravy for them since the gravy smells like KFC's gravy.

And all dogs love peanut butter. I will sometimes make them a peanut-butter-and-something sandwich for them all to have a piece. This morning, the something else was sweet potato baby food. Peanut butter or sprayed cheese is also put in KONG toys.

If my husband and I have pizza, the leftovers mostly go to the big dog as a meal, but the little dogs will have some pieces as a snack or small meal.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Enrichment" activities to work your dog's brain can include giving them puzzle toys that dispense treats, or hiding favorite objects around your house and asking your dog to find them, she said.

"All owned dogs can use more enrichment," Feuerbacher said. "Even if you think your dog's not at risk, providing lots of enrichment opportunities for them would be great."

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

DIY Chicken Salad for Dogs

Ingredients:

• 2-3 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 avocado
  • 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt [healthy alternative to mayo]
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 shredded carrot
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 1/2 cup celery
  • pinch of garlic salt
  • dash of lemon juice
----------------------------------
A fruit chicken salsa/salad for dogs that would go well with plain/Greek yogurt:

Toss all of the ingredients together:
  • 1 mango, chopped
  • 1 banana, chopped
  • ½ cup fresh berries, such as blackberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries
  • ½ cup chopped cooked chicken
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 5 - 8 fresh mint leaves, chopped

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.