More threads by cosmo

cosmo

Not sure what I can write here apart from 'hello', I am pretty guarded about what I write on these boards but at a pinch...

30-something mother of two (b&g) under 4. History of serious depression since very early childhood - extremely 'messy' upbringing with two divorces (mother), absent father, and emotionally & physically abusive stepfather.

Life up and down, several jobs / friendships failed due to personality issues (suspect I am borderline-BPD, IYSWIM) and recurrent depression (strong family history of BP disorder and associated suicides). Currently out of work due to self-esteem/depression/anxiety issues (previous work placement ended v. badly).

Latest severe depressive episode started antenatally with birth of first child, that was approx 4.5 years ago. Due to significant limitations of UK mental health system, it took at least 2 years to get any help, and 3.5yrs to get 12mo of NHS-funded psychotherapy (which was considered insufficient by my therapist but their hands are tied). I won't get to see another psych consult for at least 6mo under the current program, and then it may be another year wait to see anyone, if there is anything available (As you can see I am not a big fan of the UK system!). My kids have attachment disorders due to the severity of my postnatal depression with each of them, and I have not been able to access any help for them yet, but I am still waiting.

It's a bit of a dog's dinner, isn't it! :hissyfit:

I stumbled apon PsychLinks in a bid to find out more about coping with the end of therapy, as my 'allocation' has just finished and I wanted to see how to cope / where to go next. It has been very helpful so far. Due in a large part to family history, I am really struggling to deal with the end (which happened today - up to this point I have just read posts rather than join the forum). As the NHS support system will not 'pick up the baton' for a few weeks (months if their past record is anything to go by), I am clinging on to any lifebelt I can.

Banned

Banned
:welcome: cosmo!

You'll find a great group of supportive, caring, and knowledgeable individuals here. We have some members from the UK as well and they may be able to help you with some strategies in dealing with the health care system in the UK.

Retired

Welcome Cosmo!

I am pretty guarded about what I write on these boards but at a pinch...

Of course you never want to disclose any personal information that could compromise your anonymity.

However, here on Psychlinks, no one will ever be judgemental, and you will be treated with the respect and dignity we all deserve. Psychlinks is monitored by a dedicated staff of volunteers, so the integrity of our postings is always assured.

You can feel comfortable about sharing your experiences and asking your questions. We'll do our best to provide help and support.

Hope you enjoy Psychlinks and find what you need here.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:hithere: Cosmo :welcome: to Psychlinks.

I have been a member at various other Psych forums and this one far surpasses any of them.

I hope you find some comfort here, as many of us have :support:

Hi Cosmos I am glad you found this forum. You will get much needed support here now that your therapy is coming to end. Please feel comfortable to post take care mary.

Andy

MVP
Welcome Cosmo,

I am new here myself but have found a lot of support already in the two or three days I have been here. I can relate to quite a bit of your previous history when you were younger.

I think this is a great place for you to get support until that other support kicks in.
:support:

cosmo

Thank you all x

It's very hard trying to snap out of 'therapy' or 'end therapy' mode and into 'taking care of kids' mode, particularly when all you want to do is attack the LARGE chocolate cake in the fridge (purchased in advance, KNOWING today would be hard. Me? Comfort eat? Nevah :p ).

Having 'somewhere' to come to where I don't have to explain why I am feeling so **** is rather refreshing, thank you. I live in a very small town, where although physical illness will result in casseroles and babysitting services immediately (and kudos to it, makes a nice change to the big bad city!), 'mental health issues' do NOT. Where even the fact that I am NOT full of the joys of spring is noticed and commented on. Having to explain *why* would be just one step too far. So - thank you.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

:

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I really need it - Swedish proverb

ps I particularly like this one, NicNak. I use this to calm myself with my kids all the time ;)

I am glad you have here to come to, Cosmos, and good for you thinking in advance. Chocolate cake can be very healing at times.

take care.

best wishes

mary

Welcome to the forum, Cosmo. These are a wonderful group of caring, supportive folks. Look forward to hearing from you.

TG :wave:

Halo

Hi Cosmo and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:

I am glad that you decided to join us and I hope to see you around :wave:

Jackie

Just wanted to welcome you, a bit late I know:) The NHS is dire to say the least. I've had some experience of it and it wasn't good at all.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.