More threads by Ashley-Kate

hey!
Well i have been doing great for the past 3 weeks almost 4! Something worries me though, the fact that one of the reasons i am having a hard time increasing my food intake is not really the fear of gaining weight but the fear or eating too much, and then going to my bulimic behaviors to correct it. I have not binged or purged in at least 3 weeks and i have been eating every day. I even go to the grocery store now! But inspight of this great progress, i can't seem to add more food to my menu and i realise that my body now need it, i get dizzy spells and feel light headed, and my weight is not remaining at the same number therefore i know that i have to eat more to maintain a healthy weight i just don't know how to get past the fear of eating too much. Some may say to try others may ask what happens if i eat too much and well i honnestly don't know and that is what scares me... not knowing. I soo want to keep eating healthy but it's scary to know that it is soo easy for me to slip into binges! any suggestions? Next week i am calling to get a nutritionnist or at least going to try and get one, but till then... i don'T know what to do.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Re: doing good but need help

Hi Ashley-Kate.

I am sorry I do not have experience with Anorexia. I still wanted to say how proud I am that you are making such great progress, though. :2thumbs:

I am sure others may have some insight for you regarding the question you are asking :support:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: doing good but need help

Some may say to try others may ask what happens if i eat too much and well i honnestly don't know and that is what scares me... not knowing.

But not eating enough can lead to the binging you are so concerned about:

What is harder for patients to accept is that restriction itself encourages binging (this is covered in more detail in the psychoeducation section -- Chapters 7 and 13).

Cognitive behavioral therapy for ... - Google Books
Whilst it will feel safer for patients to revert to a more restrictive pattern of eating...this is a short-term problem and...eating a balanced diet that meets their physical needs will drastically reduce the risk of binging.

A low blood sugar sends a powerful message back to the brain to increase hunger, thus potentially triggering binging or uncontrolled eating...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.