More threads by HotthenCold

HotthenCold

Hi there,

I recently decided to quit drinking. I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I feel like I'm actually ready to commit to never drinking again. I find it very exciting and empowering to know that I can and will save myself a lot of time, money, and most of all heartache. The feeling of waking up with regrets at having said or done something stupid has happened waaaaaaay to many times in my young life, and I can feel it's time to quit. As it stands I'd like to say I'm not worried about remaining sober, but I know I will be tempted later on. I'm looking for tips from people who have tackled their addiction and been sober for a long time. How can I keep this in the forefront of my mind? I know there are obviosu things like write it on a piece of paper on my doorway, or wall, but I find that sometimes I get so flustered with everyday life that it's easy to sometimes forget about major concerns such as this.

Anyway, I'm feeling empowered and inspired and I hope that some of you out there can feel this way too :)

ladylore

Account Closed
Congrats on your decision. That's great!:goodjob: I have been clean and sober for a bit now and what I can tell you is that you need support. I went through a Daytox program which focused quite a bit on CBT. It really helped. What kind of programs are in your area?

Lana

Hi HotthenCold;

I'm not a drinker so I don't know if my suggestion on how to abstain will work, but it worked for me when I quit smoking, so who knows? ;)

When I finally quit smoking, I did the following:
1. I still spent time with my smoking friends but told them that I quit and asked them not to offer me cigarettes.
2. I, of course, limited my time with them so as not to test temptation.
3. For every dollar saved by not bying cigarettes, I put it away into an account, and when I had enough, I bought myself something I always wanted but couldn't get because it was very expensive.
4. When I got this "thing", it was my reinforcement not to smoke.
5. I didn't actually have temptations (suprsing) but I think it's because I was too busy making and following plans...and I didn't miss my smoke buddies because I still saw them regularly.
6. I also continued taking "smoke breaks",but without the smokes.

So really, my rituals remained the same. The only thing that wasn't there was the cigarette. And after, I added the purchased item that solidified my resolve. So, maybe you can apply this or similar plan for drinking and in no time, you will have an item that you always wanted and no drinks. :D

HotthenCold

Lana said:
5. I didn't actually have temptations (suprsing) but I think it's because I was too busy making and following plans...and I didn't miss my smoke buddies because I still saw them regularly."

This is what I'm hoping will happen with me over the long term, as it is the reason I've decided to quit drinking and smoking pot. That is, I finally feel like I have enough drive to do the things I love to not want to waste any more time or energy on B.S. It's so weird how common it is for people to get trashed considering how frequently it ends up with very terrible consequences.
---------------------
Congrats on your decision. That's great!:goodjob: I have been clean and sober for a bit now and what I can tell you is that you need support. I went through a Daytox program which focused quite a bit on CBT. It really helped. What kind of programs are in your area?

I haven't really looked into it, though I live in a big city so there will definitely be something. I'm seeing a counsellor and I'm going to tell her about my decision so hopefully she can help me

Last edited:

Halo

I think that you are making a great decision and talking to your counsellor about any resources that are available to you will definitely help.

Again...great decision :2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.