More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sometimes I wonder whether we haven't gone so far overboard in our concerns about physical and mental health, and political correctness, that we've forgotten how to have fun and let our children just be children... I mean this is one doughnut, not a dozen, for each A: How many is the average child going to receive? -- D.J. Baxter

Doughnut Reward Plan Raises Concerns
August 26, 2004

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Krispy Kreme has offered to reward students with a doughnut for every A on their report card -- up to six per grading period -- sparking concern among school officials trying to fight childhood obesity.

Under one promotion, Krispy Kreme stores will give Palm Beach County students in kindergarten through sixth grade a free doughnut for every A on their report card. Another program has students decorate posters of doughnuts with "success sprinkles" when children meet goals. The posters can be turned in for a class set of doughnuts.

"Krispy Kreme doughnuts are very good, especially when the 'hot' lights are on, but I can't say that there's anything healthy about them," school board member Debra Robinson said Tuesday. "Can't we find something else? I mean a doughnut?"

Krispy Kreme doesn't track how many schools are participating. Principals decide whether to allow the doughnut posters or any other business partnership, a school district spokeswoman said.

Jackie Zepeda, Krispy Kreme spokeswoman, said she was unaware of any concern about the doughnut giveaway in light of child obesity, which has been declared an epidemic by the National Institutes of Health.

Meanwhile, 50 schools in Palm Beach and Broward counties won a grant to begin a $1.4 million program to promote healthier lifestyles with nutrition and exercise programs. The district is also offering healthier school lunch menus.

"I certainly would not want to see posters in classrooms with doughnuts on them as a reminder every day, day in and day out," said Cathy Probst, who has campaigned against using sweets as rewards. "When you do well and you reward yourself with food, that is something that will continue to promote obesity."

Ash

I agree, David. If a child has a serious weight problem, I would bet my life that it's not because of a few doughnuts.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.