More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
DSM-5 Might Get Fewer Personality Disorders
By DAMIAN MCNAMARA, Clinical Psychiatry News
05/31/11

When it comes to personality disorders, the DSM-5 might feature a reduction in the number of designated disorders, a greater emphasis on and rating of functional impairment, and a move from categorical to dimensional patient assessment, Dr. John M. Oldham said. Antisocial, avoidant, borderline, obsessive-compulsive, and schizotypal are the personality disorders included in the current proposal for the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

"The list is based on literature reviews and the robustness of evidence. We have good data for the five that are on here," Dr. Oldham, a member of the DSM-5 Personality and Personality Disorders Work Group, said at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association.

This move would halve the number of categorical personality disorders featured in the DSM-IV-R. If this plan goes forward, schizoid, paranoid, histrionic, and dependent personality disorders would not appear in the DSM-5.

Dr. Oldham is a proponent of adding the remaining disorder in this section of the DSM-IV-R, narcissistic personality disorder, to the DSM-5 before its release in 2103.

"We got a lot of pushback from the comments that came in about narcissistic not being on the list." The work group did not include narcissistic personality disorder with initial revisions posted online in February 2010 at www.dsm5.org, citing a lack of robust research support.

"My argument here is ... how many patients with narcissistic personality disorder are going to line up to participate in a research protocol for a disorder they don?t think they have? It?s not surprising we don?t have a large database, but it doesn?t mean we don?t have to take care of these patients," said Dr. Oldham, American Psychiatric Association president and professor and executive vice chair of the Menninger department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, Baylor University College of Medicine, Houston.

If someone does not meet criteria for one of these five disorders, you can use a "Personality Traits Assessment" to describe the patient, Dr. Oldham said. The work group developed specific, narrative definitions for 25 relevant traits. Negative affectivity, for example, would be defined as frequent experience of a wide range of negative emotions and interpersonal manifestations of those emotions.

Many of these new proposals will be featured in an update to the DSM-5 personality disorders page soon, Dr. Oldham said. At that time, a second comment period will begin.
A total of 18 dimensional assessment models were proposed. The one the work group chose begins with initial determination of a patient?s "levels of personality functioning." Ratings range from extreme impairment (1); to serious (2); moderate (3); some impairment (4); or healthy functioning (5).

"We?re trying to define a healthy sense of identity and self-directedness," Dr. Oldham said. Experiencing yourself as unique (with clear boundaries between you and others); being capable of accurate self appraisal; and showing a capacity to regulate a range of emotional experience are examples. Empathy; tolerance of difference; and a capacity to relate to others in a comfortable, intimate, in-depth way are examples of interpersonal factors.

"In our hybrid model, you do your assessment of levels, you then look at traits, and you see whether you have met the criteria for the five, or I hope six, personality disorders," Dr. Oldham said.

Minimizing use of the PDNOS or "personality disorder not otherwise specified" as a diagnosis is an aim of the new Personality Traits Assessment. "There is also a lot of use of PDNOS" and the designation often is used incorrectly, Dr. Oldham said. "It?s supposed to mean you don?t have any of the above [criteria]. Most people use it to mean ?mixed.? "

Although not as straightforward, trait assessment better addresses the heterogeneity of patient presentations, Dr. Oldham said.

"Then we have to make sure the patient meets the general criteria that are similar to what is in DSM-IV," Dr. Oldham said.

A dimensional approach is complex but better addresses the "excessive co-occurrence" of the personality disorders, compared with categorical assessment, Dr. Oldham said. Dimensional assessments are used in some research settings, but might not be as easy to apply in a fast-paced medical setting. "That was among the questions we wrestled with: How useful is this ... in a busy clinical practice?"

However, "this is hopefully a way to describe personality pathology of all patients." Improved tracking of patient progress over time is another advantage, he said.

No matter what the final outcome of revisions, "these are important disorders for us to know about. The clinical significance of the personality disorders in the DSM is quite significant," Dr. Oldham said. Using DSM-IV-R definitions, approximately 10%-13% of people have a personality disorder. "These are prevalent in clinical settings and in the general population."

Some of these disorders, especially borderline, antisocial, and schizotypal, cause high rates of social and occupational impairment, Dr. Oldham said. "There is really an enormous impact on quality of life."

Andy

MVP
Isn't this just making things more confusing?

"Dr. Oldham is a proponent of adding the remaining disorder in this section of the DSM-IV-R, narcissistic personality disorder, to the DSM-5 before its release in 2103."

Is that suppose to be 2013? lol It really wouldn't surprise me if it was 2103. lol

lol Oops!

"We got a lot of pushback from the comments that came in about narcissistic not being on the list." The work group did not include narcissistic personality disorder with initial revisions posted online in February 2010 at Home | APA DSM-5, citing a lack of robust research support.

"My argument here is ... how many patients with narcissistic personality disorder are going to line up to participate in a research protocol for a disorder they don?t think they have? It?s not surprising we don?t have a large database, but it doesn?t mean we don?t have to take care of these patients," said Dr. Oldham, American Psychiatric Association president and professor and executive vice chair of the Menninger department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, Baylor University College of Medicine, Houston.

Yeah, it's pretty much a given that children of parents with NPD or spouses of partners with NPD are going to be the ones who come in for therapy with unexplained feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, and negative relationship patterns, etc. But since the actual people with NPD don't come to get therapy (when they don't realize they are the ones with the problems, not the entire rest of the world) I don't even know how anyone could possibly have assessed those people in the first place??

I think someone should round up a herd of them, tranquilize them, tag them with a little chip that allows therapists to observe their behaviour and body chemistries, with a teeny little camera and microphone implanted somewhere so people could see and hear actual conversations. Yeah, yeah, I'm kidding... *sigh*

Urm, otherwise, wow, lots of changes. It doesn't seem simplified to me, but I suppose it simplifies things for the patients...

Andy

MVP
I think someone should round up a herd of them, tranquilize them, tag them with a little chip that allows therapists to observe their behaviour and body chemistries, with a teeny little camera and microphone implanted somewhere so people could see and hear actual conversations. Yeah, yeah, I'm kidding... *sigh*

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have someone in your life with narcissistic traits? lol Teasing.;)

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you have someone in your life with narcissistic traits?

Three guesses and the first two don't count. I think she's somewhere around Extreme on the spectrum of that pretty little rainbow. I think it's the colour of fuschia because my mother loves that colour. I should know whenever she buys me anything it's purple or fuschia.

Andy

MVP
The thought that counts I guess. :D
You made me laugh because I was talking to my mother today about something and fuschia was mentioned also one of her favorite colours.

The problem isn't so much that my mom liked the colour, it's the fixation that she thought everyone else loved it, too.... Because she loved it. What other colour is there? I was the only weird kid with fuschia shoes in elementary school. I had purple or fuschia sweaters and underwear for birthdays and Christmas (even into my adulthood).

She'd get you things that she liked, super-inexpensive so that they'd start falling apart after a few months, give you a rash (strange metals or plastics in earrings or watches), or stain your laundry (fuschia).

lol *sigh* I used to like fuschia, too...

Andy

MVP
lol My mom was/is the same way. Anything she liked and always pinks. lol I would tell her "Thank-you mom but I'm not sure I am into pink" Then it was "Thank-you mom I'm still not into pink". Now I just go with it because it makes her happy. I can handle wearing something pink in front of her for one day.:facepalm:

bigben70

Fuschia is a wonderful color - when it's at the top of a flower vase! ;)

My mother refused to let us wear the ever-so-popular denim jeans. Too expensive. She got us these horrific stretchy pants from a store called Simspons Sears. Sears, the wonder store who categorized children by small, medium, large and "husky". How polite they were in the 70's! So I got teased about my stupid pants. Children are not only cruel, they're really quite ignorant by virtue of simply not having learned about life yet. But this includes all children - bullies and their victims alike. If I had adult maturity in grade school I would have said "Stop looking at my pants and pay attention to the chalkboard because this education we're getting is pivotal to our success in life!". But instead we take what is said to heart, and it causes us to react in a psychological manner. We internalize. We avoid. We act out. We compensate. We doubt ourselves. We form defenes, barrier and walls. Sometimes we adapt in a positive way, while other times our compensation is maladaptive. Maladaptive psychology is now an area of study for me, because I think I've suffered from a considerable amount of this less desirable form of adaptation. Being aware of this is the first step in "reconditioning" my way of dealing with daily situations and also changing my view of people, relationships, the world and my role and relationship with these entities.

Every single day I tell my children how amazing they are and smart and attractive and special they are. I praise them for trying to pronounce and learn new words. I tell them how good they look in their clothes. I guide and encourage them and praise them at every given opportunity. I will build a shield in my children against those frigthened little bullies - I will give them every ounce of self-confidence and respect that I can. But I also teach my kids that there are limits to the amount of verbal or physical abuse one should tolerate and when it's time to get a teacher - or time to push back. My parents never tought me how to stick up for myself and to this day, I sometimes wonder if I know how.

There are lots of moms putting the proverbial fuschia on their children. I for one don't plan on putting targets on my kids backs to make them natural bully targets. I am not saying to succumb to every trend and designer labels and make trend-mongers out of our kids. But I am saying if you send your kids to school in a clown suit, they're bound to get teased. Some mothers are simply too inept to look at what other kids are wearing and dress their kids so they will fit in more and not less. I want to give my kids every advantage I can.

First on the list: no fushia. And so ends my rant on an otherwise innocent color! :p

Cheers,
Big Ben

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.