More threads by David Baxter PhD

Diana

I know, it's hard to tell whether it's a good idea or not. I think if it's working for you in a positive way at that point in time, then it's better than letting yourself slip into anorexic behaviours of just not eating. But, you have to watch yourself. If you start to feel fat then you'll know exactly how many calories you're taking in and how to reduce them.
I think if someone is in real danger then getting them to eat is the most important issue initially. Later you can deal with the more emotional and psychological stuff that's behind the disorder. (now I'm talking about inpatient clinics and such where people are in extreme danger for their lives). You won't have a chance to help people emotionally if they're not alive. Know what I mean?

just mary

Briefly, I think the issue is money.? Do we publicly fund this program or not?? It all comes down to money.? This is a private clinic in Australia, if it gets public funding - it makes a lot more money.? So the government spends the taxpayer's dollar on this treatment, what about the next treatment that comes along and works for some people.? Do we publicly fund the new treatment as well?? And on and on.? All the while, the "taxpayer" can't understand why their money is going to something that does not help everyone?? The government wants to get re-elected and they can't have unhappy taxpayers.? It all comes down to politics and money.? I hate to sound jaded and cynical but it's the way I see things most days.? In our conservative, right-leaning world, it's all about looking out for your own self-interest (read money) and to heck with everyone else.? Maybe that's why I like this forum so much, it still gives me a bit of hope in other human beings.? Not that I'm perfect by any means, so far from perfect I can't even describe.

Take care.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That is part of it, for sure, Mary. Freedom of choice is wonderful. There are alternative medicines and alternative therapies for almost anything, including cancer and AIDS, but they are typically not funded unless there is evidence (1) that they are founded on sound scientific principles representing the extent of current knowledge about the disease or disorder; and (2) that they are able to demonstrate success beyond a placebo base rate. Now if you are diagnosed with cancer and you decide that you want to try to treat it with Apricot pits, you have a right to do that - but not to expect that the government (i.e., the rest of us taxpayers) will pick up the tab.

Please note: I'm not slamming this specific treatment program - if I thought it was an obvious unmitigated scam I wouldn't have posted the article. I wonder if some of the logic is flawed and, as Eunoia pointed out, the outcome statistics just don't seem to be there yet, but imaybe it does work for some people. That said, we must also remember that in the short run "sugar pills" can cure just about anything in some people. That's why controlled outcome studies for ANY new treatments are essential.

Peanut

Lately I've really slipped back into anorexic behaviors (how easy it is to do that).
I'm so sorry to hear that Janet :( I wonder if it might be related to the current stress in your life maybe having to see that other person.?

I was thinking about what you said, Janet, regarding writing out a plan, and I was wondering if having an eating "plan" might be better than having an eating "record", which is what I usually keep.? We could plan out what we are going to eat ahead of time, and make sure that it is at least somewhat healthy...if someone started having trouble they could even submit their eating plan here for comment and support.? That way it would be more goal oriented and provide structure, rather than being a "sin list" or calorie count, which is what I usually keep.

Good idea Janet!

Peanut

Mary, LOL, I was just thinking the same exact thing about myself!? I don't think you were hostile at all either!

I guess I just wanted to restate myself as well and say, although I realize that the data is not conclusive yet, I like and can relate to a lot of the concepts.

just mary

Thanks for seeing the lighter side Toeless, I was worried. And you don't sound hostile at all either, just open minded and curious.

Have a great night and take care.

Eunoia

I like the differentiation btwn a "plan" and a "record"... I think it depends in what context you use either one, but a plan sounds a bit more supportive and if you can stick to it then maybe it can help some people follow a proper diet- sort of like prevention versus "damage control" or repair etc...

Mary, LOL, I was just thinking the same exact thing about myself!? I don't think you were hostile at all either!
me three.? :) I think we were all just very passionate in one way or another. and a passionate discussion it has become, that's for sure!! interesting too. like Mary said- being open minded and curious is really the key here as w/ anything else.

foghlaim

This is a private clinic in Australia, if it gets public funding - it makes a lot more money.
if this clinic gets gov funding.. does that mean then that they will be more accountable... ie. won't the gov expect "studies" research etc.. explanations for how they perceive their aims, ideals, etc?

Not saying they should get funding..

maybe i'm saying the same thing david said am i?

Peanut

Is this sort of like a group therapy dynamic? I've never been to group therapy but I've read a couple of books about it and it sounded similar to this. Like, where the therapist starts the discussion, or has someone else start, and then the conversation goes until it gets a little hairy or emotions start to run a little high....and then the therapist/father knows best/Dr.B steps in and makes a few comments, calms everyone down, and then everyone reflects oh how they acted/interacted. ??

I know that I learned a lot from this thread, and not just about eating disorders. I realized that after a certain point (after my original post) I became a little more focused on proving a point or defending the article, rather than trying to learn from it and other people. I'd say I pretty much 'jumped the shark' (started going down hill) when I didn't read the article, and that pretty much showed that the article wasn't my focus. After my first post, I didn't really have a leg to stand on and I should have left it at that.

And, I'm going to try something new and instead of raking myself over the coals for getting carried away, I am going to learn from this experience and when this type of thing comes up again on here or in my life, I will handle myself differently.

Thanks guy for not hating me!

Eunoia

Thanks guy for not hating me!
for one, I don't think you did anything wrong. we all have different experiences, knowledge, passions, communication styles etc., and it'd be boring as hell if everyone on here would always be in synchrony and agree with each other- and no one would ever learn anything that way. and to "hate" you or anyone else would defeat the entire purpose of these forums, it's not about judging each other.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
:)

I don't see any reason for anyone to hate anyone else or herself/himself. This was a good discussion about an issue which has more than one side to it, as most seem to.

Nobody lost an eye (although I did have to warn Toeless about running with scissors :eek: ).

Good discussion, good thread. Well done, everyone! :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There's a radio ad that's running in this area:

Don't run with scissors - you'll put your eye out! Stop making that face - it will stay that way! Don't forget to change your underwear - what if you're in an accident?

Did you listen to your mom? Or are you lying in a hospital bed with one eye, a twisted face, and dirty underpants?

Then it goes on to tell you about an online employment ads service in Ottawa... :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.