More threads by Retired

Retired

I would like to list and sell some stuff on Ebay. What are some of the concerns and pitfalls to avoid? What works and what doesn't?

Suggestions and advice welcome!

Steve

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I’ve bought things on eBay but never used it to sell anything.

I know that you can see ratings and reviews for Sellers.

I believe Sellers can see ratings and reviews for Buyers as well.

That would probably be a starting point.

GaryQ

MVP
kijiji.ca unless you plan on dealing with things you want to sell as a sideline and have the hassles of dealing with shipping stuff and commissions and base fees even if it doesn't sell. Ebay is pretty much more for businesses nowadays.

Kijiji is free and localized across Canada. Sold a bunch of stuff when I was decluttering before moving here. (actually found this place through Kijiji)
Cash and carry. 30/30 warranty... 30 seconds or 30 feet whichever comes first :)

GaryQ

MVP
Forgot to mention the pitfalls to avoid... SCAMMERS!

1 - CASH ONLY! No exception! Even e-transfers can be a problem. When I sold the infamous big toolboxes she tried sending me the balance by e-transfer took half an hour and never appeared in my email. They wanted to leave with it showing me from her bank app on her phone that it was sent. But the catch is that until it's been accepted and deposited in my account it can be cancelled at any time. Hence CASH ONLY! The other scam that's common is I'll send my courier with a certified check which even for the correct amount is fake. But the real scammers come with a higher amount and say they made a mistake and try to get the difference from you.. ripping you off of the item in question and your hard earned cash at the same time.

2 - Local only. Face to face. If not a big item some people like to meet in a public place so that the person does not come into their home. I didn't like that idea because of low ballers and tire kickers wasting my time.

3 - NEVER give your buzz code to people. Force them to call you once at the door and go down to get them when you live in an apartment or condo building. That way you have the person's cell number (yes it can be a burner phone but still a bit safer) and you can then refuse to let them in if you get any bad vibes. For small items I simply brought it down with me that way they did not need to come up to my suite.

4 - Always be weary of anyone. Better safe than sorry. (Have wife with phone in hand ready to dial 911 could also deter someone with bad intentions :))

These are rare extremes just to point out what could happen and how to reduce and/or eliminate most risks associated with dealing with strangers.

Retired

Maybe I'll just give my stuff to charity and save myself the risks. You're right in what you've outlined, Gary! We cannot forget the man who lost his life showing his pickup truck to those creatures who murdered him for it.

Steve

GaryQ

MVP
Sounds like a great idea Steve! Giving to charity is an honorable thing (feels better to give than receive) when someone is not cash strapped.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.