More threads by Andy

Andy

MVP
Does anyone know anything about pitting edema with medication?

I know I talked about this before when I first went on my one med because the edema was taking a really long time to go away. It did go away though.

Now, due to my sleep being all wonky I have missed out on certain medication times during the day/night so the medication in my system is less. I have noticed that my right leg/ankle/foot has developed the edema again. I am wondering why it would start to do this again after so long of it being fine. I could understand if I was increasing my one med but to have it do this when I have less in my system doesn't make sense to me.

I know it's not a really big deal to some, but for me it is because I already feel like a fat :badwords: and to look like a :badwords: sausage doesn't help matters.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm sorry you have this STP. I can understand why you find it frustrating. Have you tried the support stockings? You can find them in all of the drugstores now...

I looked up online this morning, and here's a site where they give some advice on how to reduce the symptoms. Also, I would go see your doctor STP. Does s/he know that it's returned? :hug:

Edema: MedlinePlus

Retired

Does anyone know anything about pitting edema with medication

Not sure if I understand the question. Are you asking about whether medications can cause edema, or whether there are medications to relieve edema.

Have you had a cardiological examination and evaluation recently? what are your diagnoses and what meds are you currently taking?

Andy

MVP
Thanks TSOW,

I am on a medication(s?) that causes Edema (Lith is the one that has caused the problems with my legs/ankle/foot but I am on more). When it is increased obviously I get the edema fairly bad. I haven't been very great with taking it lately and therefore my levels aren't right. I guess my question is why would I get the edema now when I have lower levels? I would think that I wouldn't get it all. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Due to an ED and meds I cannot go on diuretics. Well I could by them but my Psychiatrist laughed at me when I asked. lol (Fair enough)

I have had two EKG's in the last 15 years and they have always been great.

Thanks TSOW, I think this is the first time I have talked to you. I think? "Hi!"

Andy

MVP
I think I figured out why this happened (happens). It is (I think) diet related.
Although I wasn't taking my medication properly I did start to buy pickles again. I am a pickle junkie and will eat them and drink the jar of pickle juice. I think this may be what has contributed to the problem because I did not have it and I had a little pickle fix the other day and voila thick ankles.
Anyway, just thought I would update that if anyone else has this problem check your diet. I don't know for sure but it's my guess.

Domo

Inactive
Oh no you can't eat pickles?! :(

At least you have a better idea of what the cause could be/is.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's probably not the pickle juice, STP...

Lithium Alcohol, Food & Lifestyle Interactions - Drugs.com

There are 2 food and lifestyle interactions with lithium which include:

Lithium and Caffeine
Moderate Drug Interaction

MONITOR: One study has suggested that caffeine withdrawal may significantly increase blood lithium levels. The mechanism may be involve reversal of a caffeine-induced increase in renal lithium excretion.

MANAGEMENT: When caffeine is eliminated from the diet of lithium-treated patients, caution should be exercised. When caffeine consumption is decreased, close observation for evidence of lithium toxicity and worsening of the psychiatric disorder is recommended. Patients should be advised to notify their physician if they experience symptoms of possible lithium toxicity such as drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, ataxia, tremor, vomiting, diarrhea, thirst, blurry vision, tinnitus, or increased urination.

Lithium and Ethanol (Alcohol)
Moderate Drug Interaction

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

TREATMENTS FOR PROBLEMS WITH MOOD - LITHIUM

Are there any foods or drinks that I should avoid?

It is important that you do not drink too much or too little fluid (e.g. do not ignore feelings of thirst) as this can lead to lithium poisoning. Drinking lots of high calorie drinks can, however, cause you to put on weight (see weight gain above).

• Drinks containing caffeine e.g. coffee, tea, cola etc. can cause an increased lithium effect, so having some decaffeinated drinks is a good idea.
  • Do not take a low salt diet. Lithium is closely related to sodium salts in the body and this can lead to lithium poisoning.

Andy

MVP
Thanks Dr. Baxter.
I don't drink alcohol much and caffeine isn't a problem either.
I was just thinking pickles, because of the really high salt content.
Who knows. It's not a big deal now,just when I look at it, it messes with my head. I would like to figure out what it is before summer, where I am more likely to wear flip flops or sandals.

Anyway, thanks again.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.