More threads by Meg

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I saw my psychiatrist today and she is wondering whether I should try augmenting my regular medications (desvenlafaxine and chlorpromazine) with Edronax. I've done a little bit of reading about it on various medical sites and there is the usual variety of responses from people, some of whom have found it really good and others who have not. I was just wondering if anybody here has given it a go and what your experience was? I have a couple of weeks to think about it before I see her again.

Cheers :)

Retired

At present, to my knowledge, Vestra (reboxetine mesylate ) is not approved in Canada nor in the U.S. although it is available in 18 Countries according to an old (2000) Medscape article.

We don't have much information or experience with the medication at this time, although other Forum members may have their own insights.

I was surprised not to be able to locate any monographs or credible references in my initial search. Am I correct that reboxetine mesylate is a selective noradrenergic compound?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes. I don't know anything about reboxetine either but see Reboxetine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It is variously described as a Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitor(NARI) or a Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (NRI) or a Selective Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI):

...an antidepressant drug used in the treatment of clinical depression, panic disorder and ADD/ADHD, developed by Pharmacia (now Pfizer). Its mesylate (i.e. methanesulfonate) salt is sold under tradenames including Edronax, Norebox, Prolift, Solvex, Davedax or Vestra.

According to a meta-analysis of 12 new-generation antidepressants, reboxetine was "significantly less" effective, and was less acceptable, than the other drugs in treating the acute-phase treatment of adults with unipolar major depression.

Reportedly, it was rejected by the FDA in 2007, though as Steve noted it is approved in more than 50 other countries including the UK.

Mode of action
Unlike most antidepressants on the market, reboxetine is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (NRI); it does not inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, therefore it can be safely combined with an SSRI.

Side effects
Common side effects of reboxetine are consistent with its anticholinergic properties, and include: dry mouth, constipation, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, excessive sweating and insomnia. Hypertension has been infrequently seen.

Meg

MVP
Thank you both for your responses :)

Hmm, it's interesting that it's not been approved everywhere. I might ask her about that when I see her. She did say that it's infrequently prescribed, but that she has another patient who is taking it and finding it very useful. I am really only having a partial response to the desvenlafaxine and she thinks that the way edronax targets noradrenaline might be good for helping me to rediscover my motivation in particular, which would be very very very nice! I'm thinking I'll probably give it a try. I've got buckley's chance of getting my thesis finished unless I find some 'get up and go' from somewhere!

AmZ

Hi Meg,

I am probably going to start on this medication and wondered if you started it in the end and wondered what your experiences were like?

Meg

MVP
Hi AmZ, I know I already replied via PM but I just thought I'd add a reply here in case anyone else had the same question :)

I did not actually end up on Edronax, but instead went on an adventure with Lovan and Cymbalta. Next stop: TCA.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.