More threads by WhereHaveIGone

Hello.
I was wondering if anybody was taking or had any information on this drug.I heard it does wonders and is new to the market.
Thank You,
Michael.

Hello.
I was wondering if anybody was taking or had any information on this drug.I heard it does wonders and is new to the market.
Thank You,
Michael.

Retired

Treatment for mood disorders varies from one person to another, the choice of which is determined in consultation and discussion with one's physician. Although one person may find one particular medication or mode of therapy effective for them, because everyone's brain and body chemistry is different, it may not have the same effectiveness in another person.

That being said, Effexor (venlafaxine is the generic name) is manufactured by Wyeth Ltd and has been marketed since 1995 approx.

Effexor (Efx) is similar to yet a bit different from the class of medications known as SSRI's (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitors) like Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil.

Efx is a seretonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), meaning its mode of action is directed to the two neurotransmitters, seretonin and norepinepherine...though to be associated with depression.

There are other reasons why a physician might consider EFX as it has less potential for certain types of drug interactions than occur with SSRI's.

Every medication can produce unwanted adverse reactions (side effects) which is why it's important to establish a plan to maintain communication with your physician to advise him/her of how the medication makes you feel, and if you experience unwanted side effects.

This class of medication takes a few weeks to demonstrate effectiveness in relieving symptoms, while your physician may tell you some side effects will go away with time as your body acclimates to the new brain chemistry.

I would propose you not go to your doctor with the expectation you will get a prescription for a specific medication, instead you may find your doctor follows a protocol with which he/she has experience in using.

The goal is to get relief from depression, and to experience more good days than bad days. Discussion with your physician along with his/her team of therapists can help you accomplish that goal.

Retired

Treatment for mood disorders varies from one person to another, the choice of which is determined in consultation and discussion with one's physician. Although one person may find one particular medication or mode of therapy effective for them, because everyone's brain and body chemistry is different, it may not have the same effectiveness in another person.

That being said, Effexor (venlafaxine is the generic name) is manufactured by Wyeth Ltd and has been marketed since 1995 approx.

Effexor (Efx) is similar to yet a bit different from the class of medications known as SSRI's (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitors) like Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil.

Efx is a seretonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), meaning its mode of action is directed to the two neurotransmitters, seretonin and norepinepherine...though to be associated with depression.

There are other reasons why a physician might consider EFX as it has less potential for certain types of drug interactions than occur with SSRI's.

Every medication can produce unwanted adverse reactions (side effects) which is why it's important to establish a plan to maintain communication with your physician to advise him/her of how the medication makes you feel, and if you experience unwanted side effects.

This class of medication takes a few weeks to demonstrate effectiveness in relieving symptoms, while your physician may tell you some side effects will go away with time as your body acclimates to the new brain chemistry.

I would propose you not go to your doctor with the expectation you will get a prescription for a specific medication, instead you may find your doctor follows a protocol with which he/she has experience in using.

The goal is to get relief from depression, and to experience more good days than bad days. Discussion with your physician along with his/her team of therapists can help you accomplish that goal.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How an individual will react to the family of medications known as SSRIs and SNRIs is very difficult to predict. Effexor is indeed a very effective medication for many people suffering from depression or anxiety disorders.

On the other hand, for some people there are side effects which are more commonly experienced with Effexor than other drugs in this family, notably excessive sleepiness or insomnia and sometimes sexual dysfunction. Some people also experience withdrawal effects and these are most commonly seen with Paxil and Effexor. That said, some people do not experience ANY of these potential adverse effects with Effexor.

The best advice is to talk to your doctor about your specific symptoms, and trust him/her to prescribe appropriately based on his/her knowledge of you and your medical history. And then make sure the doctor gets your feedback. With any of these medications, if you do experience side effects that last more than a few days, or do not show clear signs of decreasing by about day 5, get back to the doctor and ask to change to one of the other drugs in the same family. That will usually resolve the problem.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How an individual will react to the family of medications known as SSRIs and SNRIs is very difficult to predict. Effexor is indeed a very effective medication for many people suffering from depression or anxiety disorders.

On the other hand, for some people there are side effects which are more commonly experienced with Effexor than other drugs in this family, notably excessive sleepiness or insomnia and sometimes sexual dysfunction. Some people also experience withdrawal effects and these are most commonly seen with Paxil and Effexor. That said, some people do not experience ANY of these potential adverse effects with Effexor.

The best advice is to talk to your doctor about your specific symptoms, and trust him/her to prescribe appropriately based on his/her knowledge of you and your medical history. And then make sure the doctor gets your feedback. With any of these medications, if you do experience side effects that last more than a few days, or do not show clear signs of decreasing by about day 5, get back to the doctor and ask to change to one of the other drugs in the same family. That will usually resolve the problem.

Retired

Some people also experience withdrawal effects and these are most commonly seen with Paxil and Effexor

Both these meds have very short metabolic half lives. The original Effexor required twice a day dosing schedule, which I believe has changed with the Extended Release version.

The positive side of short half life drugs is the rapid therapeutic steady state, when the amount taken equals the amount excreted...but the down side is when the medication is withdrawn.

Physicians overcome withdrawl effects by tapering the dose over a period of time rather than stopping the drug abruptly.

However, withdrawl when switching from one SSRI/SNRI med to another does not appear to be an issue.

Retired

Some people also experience withdrawal effects and these are most commonly seen with Paxil and Effexor

Both these meds have very short metabolic half lives. The original Effexor required twice a day dosing schedule, which I believe has changed with the Extended Release version.

The positive side of short half life drugs is the rapid therapeutic steady state, when the amount taken equals the amount excreted...but the down side is when the medication is withdrawn.

Physicians overcome withdrawl effects by tapering the dose over a period of time rather than stopping the drug abruptly.

However, withdrawl when switching from one SSRI/SNRI med to another does not appear to be an issue.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Actually, it can be. Some people definitely experiencve a problem switching from Paxil to anything else and need to first taper down the Paxil gradually.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Actually, it can be. Some people definitely experiencve a problem switching from Paxil to anything else and need to first taper down the Paxil gradually.

Retired

Some people definitely experience a problem switching from Paxil to anything else and need to first taper down the Paxil gradually

Thanks for the insight. My understanding was they did not require a wash out when switching to another SSRI...so it goes to show theory does not always agree with clinical practice.

Have you noticed a correlation with withdrawl and the switch with any particular SSRI?

Retired

Some people definitely experience a problem switching from Paxil to anything else and need to first taper down the Paxil gradually

Thanks for the insight. My understanding was they did not require a wash out when switching to another SSRI...so it goes to show theory does not always agree with clinical practice.

Have you noticed a correlation with withdrawl and the switch with any particular SSRI?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As far as I can tell from experience with my clients, this only occurs with Paxil (very frequent problem) and Effexor (less frequent but it does occur). Those who have the problem with Paxil will probably also have it with Effexor.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As far as I can tell from experience with my clients, this only occurs with Paxil (very frequent problem) and Effexor (less frequent but it does occur). Those who have the problem with Paxil will probably also have it with Effexor.

Retired

David,

Withdrawl symptoms experienced while switching between SSRI's does not appear to be supported by the literature that I have been able to consult.

One paper that describes the topic is:

Why, when, and how to switch antidepressants
By: KEVIN SCOTT FERENTZ, MD

However, based on the pharmacokinetics of Effexor and Paxil, both being short half life medications and both likely to produce withdrawl symptoms on abrupt discontinuation, it might be speculated that immediate substitution may not have taken place in people who experienced this adverse effect.

A possible scenario could be where a person reports unacceptable side effects from EFX or PAX and receives a new prescription for, say Prozac. The person stops taking the first med immediately then orders the new prescription from the pharmacy which is delivered a day or two later. By that time, especially in the case of EFX withdrawal symptoms may have already begun because the half life is less than 8 hours.

It might be the problem was caused by not receiving clear instructions on how to switch or failing to observe the instructions.

Of course, I am not a clinician and as I stated earlier, actual practice may differ from theory.

It would be interesting to obtain the view of a psychopharmacologist on this issue.

Retired

David,

Withdrawl symptoms experienced while switching between SSRI's does not appear to be supported by the literature that I have been able to consult.

One paper that describes the topic is:

Why, when, and how to switch antidepressants
By: KEVIN SCOTT FERENTZ, MD

However, based on the pharmacokinetics of Effexor and Paxil, both being short half life medications and both likely to produce withdrawl symptoms on abrupt discontinuation, it might be speculated that immediate substitution may not have taken place in people who experienced this adverse effect.

A possible scenario could be where a person reports unacceptable side effects from EFX or PAX and receives a new prescription for, say Prozac. The person stops taking the first med immediately then orders the new prescription from the pharmacy which is delivered a day or two later. By that time, especially in the case of EFX withdrawal symptoms may have already begun because the half life is less than 8 hours.

It might be the problem was caused by not receiving clear instructions on how to switch or failing to observe the instructions.

Of course, I am not a clinician and as I stated earlier, actual practice may differ from theory.

It would be interesting to obtain the view of a psychopharmacologist on this issue.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
actual practice may differ from theory
Believe me, it does. I have had two clients who tried to switch from Paxil to something else and on the advice of their physicians did so immediately. One blacked out driving (fortunately at slow speed) and ran her car into a tree. The other wound up in emergency with a severe panic reaction.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
actual practice may differ from theory
Believe me, it does. I have had two clients who tried to switch from Paxil to something else and on the advice of their physicians did so immediately. One blacked out driving (fortunately at slow speed) and ran her car into a tree. The other wound up in emergency with a severe panic reaction.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.