More threads by Retired

Retired

Recently hears someone talking about EFT Emotional Freedom Techniques. ... "Tapping on "meridian points" on the body, derived from acupuncture, can release "energy blockages" that cause "negative emotions" "

Anyone have experience with this?

What's this all about? Is there any evidence to show effectiveness, credibility?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
So-called EFT Tapping is essentially a rip-off of EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing).

There is little or no credible evidence for the efficacy of either, in my opinion: when it works at all, it's a combination of suggestibility and distraction.

There is little or no credible evidence for Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) either for that matter. And the links to things like chakras and meridians don't help EFT practitioners gain credibility for their work.

I see this sort of "therapy" as a general move in our society away from scientific medicine and evidence-based therapies to basically nonsensical mysticism.

We see it in the anti-vaccine movement, and in all the fad diets, and in all the latest miracle cures paraded out on the internet and on social media sites like Facebook. If you believe all these claims, apparently we have to believe that there have been cures for cancer, AIDS, and a whole host of other diseases and conditions for years but they are being suppressed by "Big Pharm" and/or other special interest groups. It's like the claims several years back that we knew how to produce automobiles that would get hundreds of miles to the liter or gallon or would run on hydrogen but that technology was being suppressed by the oil industry.

I am honestly mystified at what people are not only willing to believe but apparently eager to believe. It assaults all logic and reason. This whole anti-science trend, which seems to be growing in strength, is utterly baffling to me.

They are searching for HOPE and not finding it in the scientific community, so they reach out to whatever ray of hope they can even if it is nonsense.

For some it gives them reason to continue fighting , not saying it is right or wrong just saying the ones that believe need to have something to hold onto maybe a last hope they have.

Sad that is has to come to this really people taking advantage of the most vulnerable.

If this is not right please don't post it ok just sometimes people grasp at anything when they are not finding answers or help elsewhere.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thank you, forgetmenot. You make a good point.

The frustration in my post above is primarily aimed at those who target the vulnerable, not those who get "sucked in" by claims that are not supported by evidence.

At the same time, I think we as a society need to find effective ways counter the anti-science movement.

It would be nice if people who were looking for answers could go to a place where the actually truth or facts were written about each therapy or meds or treatment.

A somewhere or someone they could reach out to for real answers, that could guide them to the treatment that would benefit them most

I agree the anti-science movement is quite strong right now and i too wish there was a way to counteract it. It is scary because i have seen how harmful it can be when people don't get the help they need because of beliefs like some you have stated.

Katieann

Tapping...patting... maybe not very scientific - but it can be soothing as it's rhythmical and sensory in a pleasant way. Mother's pat their babies' backs... we pat one anothers shoulders or hands to reassure, sympathize and give support...

Any thoughts on this?

KatieAnn

Physical contact for most can be very soothing but only in the moment it does not get to the root of what is causing the pain it is good perhaps to help calm someone in the moment does that make sense

GDPR

GDPR
Or maybe it's just that people believe it helps,therefore it does.

I once believed eating Skittles candy helped my anxiety,and it did for quite awhile(until I stepped on the scales and saw how much weight I had gained).Once I no longer believed it helped it no longer worked.

The mind is a very powerful thing.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.