More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
5 Steps to Emotional Freedom: Placebo or Panacea?
Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D.
September 9, 2009

Now, whenever something claims to be "a natural healing aid you can use for almost anything" as the the World Center for Emotional Freedom Techniques does, I get a little more than skeptical. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is often called acupuncture for your feelings and the purpose of EFT is to help people suffer less from limiting thoughts, difficult emotions, and physical pain. Critics say there is no real conclusive evidence behind it and it might just be a temporary fix that is led by a technique founded in distraction. However, more than a million people how downloaded the manual apparently and I have heard many reports from people that I know that it has been helpful with their emotional and physical pain.

The technique is fairly simple and many suggest you can even do it on your own. Although, it is often helpful with any new technique to first get support from someone who has experience in the field.

The 5 Steps
  1. The Question: Ask yourself what do I want to clear from my system? Take this time to write down specific about the thoughts, emotions, or physical pain. The more specific you are, the more effective it can be and this will become the focus.
  2. Intensity Score: On a scale of 1 to 10, what level of intensity is this issue? A score of 1 is labeled as a very low in intensity and a score of 10 being extremely high in intensity.
  3. Setting Up the Phrase: Here is the phrase you will be saying while doing some tapping I'll tell you about in a moment. The phrase starts "even though (insert problem), I deeply and profoundly accept (or love) myself." So you might say, "even though I'm really frustrated with Sally because of what she did yesterday, I deeply and profoundly accept (or love) myself." Basically, the underlying message is, no matter what, I'm ok. Now, while saying this phrase you begin a series of tapping on specific body parts. You begin with the side of the hand; some call the part you would use to karate chop with.
  4. Staying Focused: You can now shorten the phrase of the issue down to one or two words while continuing to tap (i.e., "this frustration). Now continue with the tapping at the inner parts of the eyebrows, to the outer parts of the eyebrows. Then continue to the areas under the eyes, under the nose, in the groove of the chin, and down to the collarbone tapping either side or both sides. Then continue to tap two inches below the armpit and then the top of the head. Each time you tap continuing to say the shortened phrase you created.
  5. Checking In: After doing that, take a deep breath and check in with the intensity of the issue. Has it lowered or stayed the same? If it has lowered, you may just stop and go about your business. If it has stayed the same, go ahead and do it again.
If you'd like to learn more about this technique, go to World Center for Emotional Freedom Techniques.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: Emotional Freedom Techniques: Tha latest gimmick?

I suffer from PTSD. I was taught this method as a means to cope with some of my symptoms.

At best, I believe that the EFT is a form of meditation (and I'm being generous here) which may be great in achieving relaxation or, maybe even some forms of mindfulness. But, to tout this as a method by which to 'cure' serious forms of trauma is, in my opinion, irresponsible if not a blatant violation of ethics for mental health professionals.

While I do not have any problem with the techniques themselves, I take issue with how they are being promoted. These techniques should never be touted as helping people with 'difficult thoughts, difficult emotions and physical pain'. These kinds of issues should only be entrusted to the care of mental health professionals who have the various tools requisite for such issues.

As I've stated somewhere else on this forum, this kind of representation, for me, is tantamount to putting a band aide on an open wound and telling the patient that if he/she believes in it enough, the wound will heal itself. Pile of bunk.

(and yes, I'm still bitter at having paid the sums of money I paid to be taught such a method to cope with my PTSD - hogwash).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.