More threads by myke

myke

Hi, I'm Mike.

A google search on "Emotional Incest" led me here and I was happy to find a Canadian Psych website/message board run by a Therapist in my area near Ottawa.

I'm 45, reasonably happily married (but with issues) and am very happy (though at times, exasperated etc.) to have a 3 yr old girl and 6 yr old boy. I married a woman who is much more like my very loving (deceased) grandmother than my awful (living) mother. I credit this to the therapy I started 12 years ago, but which I haven't worked on much in the last 8-10 years.

I'm currently in the last few weeks of short term disability for depression from my job. I'm happy it was approved but have some anxiety that LTD could be denied. On the plus, I feel relatively OK about our financial situation, though my wife has big anxiety issues, just like my grandmother did. I AM VERY concerned that the economy could (or already has) crumbled to a state worse than the Great Depression of the 1930s.

I never met my father until 10 years ago, when I tracked him down several times and appeared on his doorstep. My parents split when I was 1, and my mother instilled in me a great anger for him. Now I just pity him, from afar, as another victim of depression etc. My genealogical research on his extended family convinced me there is dysfunction aplenty throughout our trees.

I still have some doubts about the validity of this thing called "Emotional Incest". The incest word is VERY charged of course, but this emotional variant does not necessarily include actual, physical sexual child abuse (although in some cases it could include parents exposing themselves etc.)

As far as I'm aware and can remember and now see, my mother effectively used me as a surrogate spouse. She was a "child-woman" and looked to me for love and support she SHOULD have been getting from adult friends/lovers. I had to grow up too early and be the "man of the house". She tried to program me to take care of her in her old age, even when I was 5. Even my very loving grandmother participated in this I guess; She urged me not to argue with my mother and to help my "poor mother" out in any way I could.

I effectively "divorced" my mother when I was 23. I had moved back home at that time and my mother STILL wanted to be able to set a curfew for me. I stayed at my best friends place for a week and when I went back she had a boyfriend who is now my step-father. (Thank GOD, finally she was off my back !) Mere months later I had my first adult girlfriend. It's like I now had "permission" to have a girlfriend, I think.

Growing up (and still now) I was EXTREMELY shy and anti-social. Suppressing my urges for love and sexual intimacy drove me nuts. When young, I was extremely naive about love and sexuality.

My work history is extremely fragmented. I would leave jobs when feeling depressed or repressed somehow. Also, the high-tech fields are littered with the carcasses of companies that went under. My obsessive electronics and computing hobby became my career after college. On the plus side, I made very good money on contract during, and even after to some extent, the dot-com boom of the mid to late 1990s.

On the current minus side, the field of software development in this former Nortel town is very dim and I'm rather old in this field now. My current employer (on disability now) is a largely Chinese slave driving company and that depresses me greatly; I'm not sure I can ever return to that job, and I feel the good times in my field are long gone.

I have no real friends at present. My best teenage hometown friend killed himself 3 years ago, and my local friends, haven't really been real friends for years now. I still see one of them occasionally, but largely just because he supplies the "self-medication" I've been using pretty much daily for 20+ years.

I think I have SAD; I always seem to have bigger issues in winter-time.

I allowed my mother to re-enter my life a bit more after we had "her grand-children". Since an incident last year however, she is no longer welcome in our house and we don't visit her, 400 miles away. Telephone contact is pretty limited and mostly used to let her speak with our kids. I don't expect our relationship to ever get better, and I'm as OK with that as I can be, except that I will always carry grief over the emotionally healthy mother I never had, and will never have.

When I last saw my father I told him how disappointed I was with him; never a letter to me or anything; he even failed to live up to his promise to call me back after I first contacted him. But I feel that my father issues are as resolved as they can be now. I don't think I will ever similarly resolve my mother issues. Part of her knows she's wronged me greatly, but she's also very defensive and just plain "permanently nuts", IMO.

Long rambling intro here, huh ? :) Thanks for reading my intro vent...
Mike.

myke

I have only limited time this morning, Myke, but welcome to Psychlinks... :)

OK, thanks. I'm re-exploring my options for counseling. I think perhaps I went as far as I could with previous therapist. I'm on Quebec side so am trying to get something paid for through CLSC, but who knows ? Would be nice if insurance company would pay for more counseling on the basis of my present disability to work.

BTW, I very much appreciate vendors/businesses etc. that have a good internet presence.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:welcome2: Myke.

I feel the good times in my field are long gone.
There's always academia, research (with some software companies focused on computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, etc.), starting a Micro ISV (at least as a way to spend down time), and/or working as a software developer or IT professional for non-profit companies like hospitals, universities, and local/state/federal governments, including school and library systems. And, of course, there are other, related fields that may be of interest, e.g.

PayScale Canada - Business Systems Analyst Salary, Average Salaries
PayScale Canada - Information Architect Salary, Average Salaries
Fresh Starts - Digital Archivists, Now in Demand - NYTimes.com
The Best and Worst Jobs in the U.S. - WSJ.com

Last edited:

almost50

Welcome Myke! Nice to meet you.

I am new here too.

Emotional incest huh?, I'll have to look into that as your story is very similar to mine. My mom too, is "permanently nuts" and I've come to accept that.

Hope to see you around the site.

myke

:welcome2: Myke.

There's always academia, (at least as a way to spend down time), and/or working as a software developer or IT professional for non-profit companies like hospitals, universities, and local/state/federal governments, including school and library systems. And, of course, there are other, related fields that may be of interest, e.g.

Hi Daniel,

Yes, thanks for your ideas. I've been in the fields of electronics and computing for 25 years now professionally, plus a lifetime from 8-12 yrs old or so of obsessive project building. I think I've worked in all those areas you mention: from component level repair of computer electronics in early-mid 1980s to the same plus 50% pulling network/phone cabling in a University, to various crazy startups and tax "scams" as a PC or embedded software developer.

Now (before Nov) I work for a mostly Chinese network security products company that is pretty big and even profitable; We create devices that not only secure the Internet, but allow Big Brother to see everything you do... :)

I think I'm best suited for some sort of "real" business of my own (as opposed to for hire contracting, which is virtually dead now, except for gov't.) I was working on a business idea in summer and fall (computer and battery management system for electric bikes or small cars) before falling to depression and losing interest in my project. I was spending way too many late nights on that project, in addition to work, and to some extent that was the source of most of my depression: hating my job, feeling trapped in it to support my family, and spending too much time on my obsessive project. Funny, I HAD been planning to quit in January, but left on disability in Nov.

Main problem with business ideas for me, is eventually I get bored, and on and off is not the way to run most businesses. Ennui/boredom/depression and obsessive, perhaps even manic, projects have been part of my life forever. I might be better suited to writing if I could find a niche.

At this point in my life I'd be happy just to make enough to get by, if I could be happy with my work, which by necessity must be largely self-directed. I can't deal with micro-management; too much like my mother. I thrive when I get a project that will take 2 weeks to many months and I'm just told: "Do such and such, more or less, and let us know when you are done". Jobs like this were MUCH easier to find in the late 1990s.

I'm a DOOMER again these days; probably been one all my life, based on medical depression etc. I'm among those who feel that there is a VERY REAL risk (perhaps even inevitable) of a major economic depression; perhaps even worse than the 1930s. Have you noticed the major US stock market indexes are at 12 year lows ? I've been expecting a major worldwide financial meltdown since the late 1990s when we were LAST at the current indexes, not even accounting for inflation. I did NOT expect the ridiculous bubble in real estate prices in the 2000s. IMO, that's the last bubble of this era; it's ALL deflating now (except perhaps precious metals...).

A large part of me thinks it makes PERFECT sense to be depressed now, given where I think the economy AND world is going. SO MANY jobs have gone overseas to countries like China and India. IMO, they AREN'T coming back. What are we all going to do ? Sell each other burgers/fries at McDs and plastic garbage at Walmart and dollar stores ?

One little note of optimism is that I'm working for a highly Chinese company, with offices in Beijing, and for some reason, they still seem to find it worthwhile to keep on North-American software developers with our very high by Chinese standards salaries. From what I've seen the Chinese culture of obedience etc. doesn't work well in fields such as this that require innovation and creative thinking... :)

But the economy REALLY stinks right now and now may be the worst time in 100 years to try and start a business, or to leave a decent paying job.

Cheers and thanks to all...
Mike.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Welcome Myke! Nice to meet you.

I am new here too.

Emotional incest huh?, I'll have to look into that as your story is very similar to mine. My mom too, is "permanently nuts" and I've come to accept that.

Hope to see you around the site.

Hi almost50.

Yes, I think it tends to be called "Covert Incest" now. I think "Emotional Incest" was more in vogue 12 years ago when I first found out about it. My therapist lent me his book on the subject without really saying anything, and it opened my eyes a LOT. This was book 2, after "Toxic Parenting".

There's a decent Wikipedia article on it, and the websites covertincest DOT org and soulwork DOT net are the best resources I've found so far.

I think the term "incest" may be too "explosive" for many, because there is not necessarily any actual overt sexuality involved. I.E. a parent can create an emotional relationship with a child that is very spouse/lover like, and that can cause the same sort of damage as actual physical incest. For many families/cultures, to some extent this is somewhat normal or common in many cases. So I can see why victimizers would be VERY upset to be accused of something with the word "Incest" in it. So I think some other words could better be used.

All that said, I would support the term "Covert Incest" when there is clearly a sexual component. [removed details] In most cases/many places, no laws (other than moral ones) are broken when there is no physical contact.

I'm not quite sure if my definition of "Covert Incest" applies to me. Memories of childhood are difficult to recall and could be repressed (or according to some, could be false memories); I CAN think of several things that are pretty questionable. For example, when 5 I recall my mother coming into MY bed because SHE claimed to be afraid of thunder...

Regards to all,
Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Sell each other burgers/fries at McDs and plastic garbage at Walmart and dollar stores ?

BTW, from what I remember hearing, being a store manager at Burger King can result in more pay than being a Microsoft employee.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.