More threads by Marcel

Can you discuss your therapeutical relationship with one therapist with a second therapist - or do the rules of professional conduct prevent the second therapist from being able to make any comments about the relationship with the first? I am asking in the context of if you cannot discuss your concerns with the relationship directly with the first therapist, is it better to try to work them out with a second therapist rather than (or before you) just giving up on the relationship with the first and all the time and effort you have put into it?

If the rules do permit the second therapist to take on this role of being a sounding board for the client's relationship with the first, is it mandatory (or preferable) that the second therapist not know who the first one is - or would it be more beneficial if the second therapist knew both parties involved because they would better understand each person's background and personality?

Thanks for any comments you might have.

that is a very interesting question and i don't have a definitive answer but i do have a few thoughts that come to mind.

i remember a member here who had two therapists at one point and was discussing one of them with the other. i don't know what problems you are facing with your current therapist but if they are such that you feel you cannot resolve them on your own or with friends who could be a sounding board, then i think it should be okay.

second, i don't think you need to give the name of your current therapist for the problems to be tackled effectively. in therapy there are many situations where we may be describing problems with people the therapist has never met (co-workers, friends, family) and we still receive very valuable input regarding those problems.

i'd like to see what other thoughts others here may provide.

Andy

MVP
Hmmmmm. I have no idea exactly where the line is to be drawn. Personally, I think talking to one therapist about the other would be fine as long as you don't use their name or place of business etc. You never know when one will cross paths with the other. This way IF they do happen to cross paths the one will be none the wiser.

Also I think maybe it might be something that is individual to each therapist, maybe? Like whether they feel comfortable with it or not. If they don't I'm sure they would give you an explanation and stop the conversation dead in it's tracks.

These are just the thoughts that came to mind when I read your post, I really don't know of the actual ethics.

:dimples:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Buffy,

With respect to ethical considerations, I would say that the second therapist can't comment on the first therapist. But, they can listen to your concerns.

I recently went through the same thing - I told my second therapist why I'd left the first one. But, I didn't disclose the name of the first therapist. This was more out of consideration for the second therapist - I didn't want to put her in a vulnerable situation. And I wouldn't have told her about my issues with the first one, but she actually asked me what they were.

I personally would not give the name of the first therapist. But if you need to express those concerns with the second therapist, you should and you can. Also, nothing prevents you from asking your therapist whether you can discuss it with them and whether you should avoid naming the first therapist.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.