More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
External Factors Play Part in Schizophrenia
Thu Sep 16, 2004

LONDON (Reuters) - Schizophrenia, more common in men than in women in most parts of the world, is more prevalent in women in China, suggesting several external factors can play a part in the mental illness, scientists said on Friday.

The research, published in the journal The Lancet, shows social, economic or cultural causes can contribute to schizophrenia in addition to genetics.

The researchers, led by Dr Michael Phillips of China's Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, used census data and information from the Ministry of Health and other sources to estimate that 4.25 million people in China suffer from schizophrenia.

Unlike in other parts of the world, most Chinese schizophrenics were women.

Dr Mao-Sheng Ran, of the University of Hong Kong, said the research challenges the assumption that schizophrenia has a uniform prevalence worldwide with only minor variations.

"Indeed the different cultural, social and economic characteristics of communities could influence the onset and course of schizophrenia," he said in a commentary.

The researchers also detected a link between schizophrenia and suicide. Nearly 10 percent of the 285,000 deaths from suicide in China each year are in people suffering from schizophrenia the researchers concluded.

Those who commit suicide are also more likely to be women then men.

"Our high estimate of annual suicide deaths in people with schizophrenia in China indicates that this is a major public health problem for the country that will require development of suicide-prevention strategies specifically designed for people with schizophrenia," Phillips wrote.

Daniel

daniel@psychlinks.com
Administrator
From what I have read, the many rural areas of China are the worst place to be mentally ill. There is geographical isolation from mental health services along with easy access to rat poison, a common suicide method in rural China.

Similar threads

Why It No Longer Matters to Me If My Job Impresses People by Kortney Rivard, TinyBuddha.com May 26, 2021 “Do not let the roles you play in life make you forget who you are.” ~ Roy T. Bennett Wherever I go and meet new people, they ask me, “What do you do?” I love talking about what I do because I love what I do, but It’s not what I’ve always done, and it certainly isn’t all of who I am. It’s part of who I am, but there is so much more. When we’re young, we’re asked to decide on a career...
Replies
Views
How co-factors can increase the likelihood of a food allergy reaction By Leslie Young,Global News November 27, 2019 Food allergies are complex things, and people don’t react the same way to their allergy trigger every time they encounter it, experts say. “Co-factors” like hard exercise or certain medications can alter how someone responds to an allergen, lowering the threshold at which they react, said Dr. Anne Ellis, professor and chair of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at...
Replies
Views
New Study Sheds Light on Why Some People Gain Weight Easier Than Others 2019-01-28 ...Major new research from the University of Cambridge has provided evidence that we’re not as in control of our weight as we like to think we are. Professor of Metabolism and Medicine Sadaf Farooqi and her colleagues asked 2,000 participants whose BMIs qualified as “thin” to submit saliva samples in order to analyze their DNA, and asked them questions regarding their lifestyle habits and general health. Her...
Replies
Views
Back to basics about psychosocial factors in pain (i) by adiemusfree, HealthSkills Blog September 3, 2017 From time to time I see a flurry of tweets or Facebook posts about pain and psychosocial factors. Many of them are informative, intriguing and empathic, but some are just plain wrong. The ones I most get upset about are those arguing that because someone has ?psychosocial factors? their pain must be psychological in origin, followed closely by the idea that psychosocial...
Replies
Views
I am not sure I am up to reading the 19 pages right now but since it is World Suicide Prevention Day I would like to add a story. A few years ago I was getting harassing phone calls and the phone company offered me a new number. I accepted the new number and then started receiving phone calls for the LGBT Centre. I did not know what LGBT referred to and had to search. I still receive the occasional call and have to tell the callers that this is now a private number and that the LGBT office...
Replies
Views