More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
False Memories Can Influence Behaviour
by Jeremy Dean
October 22, 2008

Even when human memory is working normally, it is still frequently unfaithful. Instead of the total recall of, say, a video camera we get something more like a symbolist, or even abstract painting. Sights, sounds and smells are refracted by our minds into memories that often tell more about us than the original events they apparently record.

Psychologists have found many processes that act like lenses, creating distorted memories of original events. These processes include things like cognitive dissonance, the consistency bias, and misattribution. But what power do these distorted or false memories hold over the mind? How far are they able to weave themselves into the tapestry of our lives? In short: can false memories affect our everyday thought and behaviour?

According to the results of a new experiment reported in Psychological Science, false memories could have many and varied behavioural consequences: just like 'real' memories, they may well be able to reach forward to the present and dramatically change how we think and behave.

Implanting false memories
To investigate the power of false memories Dr Elke Geraerts and colleagues (Geraerts et al., 2008) first had to induce false memories in participants: in this case that egg salad made them feel sick.

To achieve this, participants were invited to take part in a study they were told was about 'food and personality'. They answered a number of questions about food which were apparently to be entered into a computer programme to produce a profile of their early childhood experiences with food.

A week later two-thirds of the participants were told in this profile that they had got sick after eating egg salad at an early age, while the remainder - the control group - were not. The experimenters then had to check who had accepted this false memory as one of their own, and who had not. Using questionnaires they discovered that almost half of the experimental group had taken the bait and created a false memory while the rest were 'non-believers'. This demonstrates, once again, just how easy it is to induce a false memory in some people.

Avoiding egg salad
The second stage of this experiment took place four months later when the participants were contacted by a different experimenter apparently about a different study - of course this was just a ruse. Participants were told this study was about people's preferences for different types of foods. A variety of different types of sandwiches and drinks were on offer for participants to test and rate, but most of these were a distraction as the experimenters were most interested in those egg salad sandwiches.

After the participants had left they tallied up how many of each type of sandwich had been consumed. They found that those who had accepted the false memory about getting sick after eating egg salad sandwiches ate far fewer of these sandwiches than those in the control group or those who were 'non-believers'.

While the non-believers and control group ate, on average, about 0.4 egg salad sandwiches, the false memory group ate only about 0.1. They were certainly avoiding the egg salad as this pattern of consumption wasn't seen in any of the other types of sandwiches.

Re-imagining the past
What this study clearly shows is that not only is it possible to instil false memories in a significant minority of people, but that these false memories can have a marked effect on behaviour.

Naturally this should make us wonder which of our preferences, attitudes, or phobias even, might be based on false recollections. Could that distaste for yellow peppers have stemmed from a false memory of getting sick after eating them? Or could that desire for a seaside home be built on childhood beach trips misremembered as enjoyable?

What this experiment underlines is the idea that the way we remember, interpret and, perhaps, re-imagine the past has a profound effect on how we think and behave in the present.

amastie

I expect that you are aware, David, of the False Memory Association which operates in different countries, including the US and Australia.

Very much controversy surrounds it and also the causes (indeed, the reliability) of Dissociative Disorders. I've found psychiatrists here who discount the diagnosis as being 'typically something that has come out of the US, along with alien abduction'. (That was written by an Australian psychiatrist whom I happened at one time to see about my own experience of dissociation!)

Because my experience is not widely understood, or experienced (at least among my acquaintances), I'm ready to believe that anything is possible.

I'm also ready to believe of course that memory is altogether fallible and that false memories can be instilled in someone in a way that may be methodical or from a combination of events that occur to someone who is susceptible at a particular time of their life and who blends experiences in a way that confuses memory.

I also know that memories have come to me that I can prove *to a point* - the place something occurred, the people whose names I remember etc. But no-one, including others I remember being there, remember it occurring. I first remembered when a picture of it came to me in a bus completely out of the blue, with nothing seen or done or heard to trigger such a memory. Then, I started getting more pieces of the memory, Finally, I started getting in touch with the *feelings* of that memory and that was by far the hardest part.

In terms of my healing, I'm not sure if my memories being right or wrong in practice made a difference to my needing to work through them. I can say clearly that I remember small details of them and have experienced very strong and painful abreactions and, during healing, strong cathartic moments in relation to them. But I have also felt discounted by those people such as that psychiatrist and by the False Memory Foundation with a strong bias against those who experience Dissociative Disorders.

So, for me, it's a touchy subject. Not that it isn't worth addressing, just that it close to home for me.

amastie

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
On my webpage,Recovered Memories and False Memory Syndrome: PsychLinks.ca, I include a disclaimer:

Editorial Comment

The debate about recovered memories versus false memory syndrome is both complex and sensitive. As a clinician, I believe it is important to be aware of the issues on both sides of the debate, and, in the course of clinical practice, to be sensitive to any practices with even hypothetical potential for promoting a "false memory". The intent of this web page is not to support either side in the debate (there are many other web sites which already do that) but rather to provide some resources summarizing what is known and what is not known. Ultimately, truth is decided not by rhetoric but by empirical evidence, and in open accessibility to and examination of that evidence. In keeping with this, I do not believe that my personal opinions are relevant here and I wish to expressly emphasize that nothing presented on this page should be construed as necessarily representing the opinions of anyone at PsychLinks. Clinicians may be interested in consulting a recent article by Phyllis J. Proust & Keith S. Dobson (1998), Recovered Memories of Childhood Sexual Abuse: Searching for the Middle Ground in Clinical Practice, Canadian Psychology, 39:4, 257-265.

It's certainly not the case that I believe suppressed/repressed memories don't exist, or that recovered memories cannot be genuine. However, I am also acutely aware that human memory is not like an audiotape or videotape recording of events, but rather a reconstructive process which is therefore subject to some error ("noise") or distortion over time. It is also at times highly vulnerable to suggestion, especially where the content of the memory is emotionally charged, as many studies on false memory syndrome have demonstrated.

From my viewpoint as a clinician, it means we must be very aware of the factors influencing recovered memories, both genuine and false, and that we must take great care to permit repressed memories to emerge at their own pace and not to influence the ermergence of those memories while the process is still in progress.

amastie

I will refer to your web page David.

..... we must take great care to permit repressed memories to emerge at their own pace and not to influence the ermergence of those memories while the process is still in progress.

I'm fortunate to see a psychiatrist who is very careful to do that. Same with the counsellor, with whom I work in a spiritual way. We work with whatever emerges to heal that. With both the psychiatrist and the counsellor, it's a matter of working on what is coming through - in whatever way it manifests.

Thanks,

amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.