More threads by Auburn

Auburn

I like to think I usually have a handle on the things I had to endure as a child. But, it never fails that something will cause it to resurface and inflict pain. Inevitably that leads to anger for me.

My father was a very physically and emotionally abusive alcoholic. I always felt that most of that problem was my fault. Thankfully, as we grow, we learn it isn't true, but that doesn't always negate the underlying issues that it causes.

I realized last summer that another man in my family is, in essence, my father in another body. And it scares the hell out of me. What has happened this week is I learned that, not only does he scream at his wife, but he puts his hands on her and likes to toss her around. Yes, that made me angry. But what has infuriated me and shocks me so, is that there are two young children in this situation. I don't understand how the rest of this family can't see where this is leading. When asked for my opinion, I don't think it was really something this young woman really wanted. At least not after I gave my opinion.
Violence leads to more violence. And, inevitably to the children. Why, oh why, does a woman put her children at risk????
I am so ****ed off that I just want to scream. I just can't understand. They are constantly cleaning up after him, bailing him out of his messes and giving him money. All taking care of him, but ignoring the obvious. The kids. The newest addition to the family is only one month old. The older one is almost 3 and she gets to hear all the awful names he calls his wife and all the shouting and screaming and crying. I tried to tell her what this does to a child. The effects are everlasting. I am 42 and still have nightmares of things I had to witness or endure. My mother left the first chance she could, but it wasn't soon enough.

And his siblings aren't helping. The one says, he is my brother, I love him, I can't see him struggle, I can't see him suffer. OMG!!!!

I tried to tell them and I think it fell on deaf ears. The hidden scars are there forever. The damage it causes to a childs ability to know love, give love, accept love is sometimes irreparable.

My family has been riddled with addiction. As was my husbands. It has taken SO MUCH WORK to stop the cycle, but we were determined. And it ended with us telling both our fathers that they would not see our children if they were drinking. And there were times that we cancelled visits because of that. I was never sorry. I never felt guilty for that. I was not going to subject my kids to that. They are what is important.

I am sorry to ramble, but I am just so angry. It is like my father can reach me from the grave sometimes. :hissyfit:

Lana

Hi Auburn;
Your anger and frustration are understandable.

One of the biggest issues with getting well is acknowledging that there is a problem in the first place. Then making an effort and commitment to deal with it. It requires time, patience, cooperation of all parties involved, and a very skilled therapist.

I believe your heart is in the right place. Last night I watched a show on TV that triggered me and my anger response, while it made my husband cry. I then realized that I felt that way because of my own past. So really, it wasn't about the people involved, but it had everything to do with my own trauma. I was reacting to my past, I was reacting to my own hurt, my own needs, my perceptions, and so on. I think all of us need to be aware of that and that our reactions are ours alone.

With respect to the victims, I was physically abused by my mother until I was 27 years old. I was taller then she, stronger, more fit, but I took it all on and in. Why? Fear. Habit. As odd as it sounds, comfort zone -- I knew how to be a victim, I had no clue how to be a victor. Lonliness -- sometimes bad attention is better then none. Being alone -- believing that not one person in the entire world cared (some heard me cry and her screaming, but most turned blind ear and eye to avoid discomfort). And often, abusers drill into your mind, body, and soul that YOU"re the issue, not them. After a while, you begin to believe them and admire them for their "strength". List goes on.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get away from it all and stop the cycle. You, and your husband, are an inspiration to many who are on their way, or maybe looking for a way, or maybe need to learn there is a way. Congratulations to you, and your family. :)

ladylore

Account Closed
This stood out when I read your post Auburn.

The damage it causes to a childs ability to know love, give love, accept love is sometimes irreparable.

It can cause erreparable damage. But what I see with you is that you know what love is. You know how to give it, otherwise you wouldn't be so outraged - rightly so I may add.

The best thing you can do is to keep yourself and your child safe from this man. And if you need to speak up about it - go for it. It is frustrating how people from our past can effect us at such a deep level, even years later.

Your anger tells me that you do know right from wrong and wouldn't perpetrate on others what has been done to you.

Your a good person Auburn.

:hug:

Auburn

Thanks to you both. This has brought my childhood screaming back, and all I can think about are those two little ones. I love my cousin very much, but he has to be made accountable for his own actions. He is a grown man. His wife/girlfriend
has to think of the kids first. Even though my mother left, the abuse before was almost more than a brain can take. I can't stand to think that these two young babies are going to have to suffer the same. It isn't right.
But, his wife/girlfriend won't hear. He is 35 and she is only 24. I sometimes wonder if that is why he chooses women so young. More able to manipulate them, I don't know. I just wish she would put the kids first.
Thanks to you both. I know I was ranting

Halo

Auburn,

I am sorry that all the feelings are coming back to you from your past but I can definitely relate. I am glad that you felt safe enough that you could come here and share them with us. Sometimes just having a place to let them out safely helps.

Take care and remember that we are here for you.

Auburn

Thanks Halo, ladylore. I absolutely know I can always come here when I need to. My safe haven. I am just so worried about those two little ones and am helpless to help. My advice was asked for, and I gave it. I just hope she listens and realizes that she can't fix him. It is his job to take care of himself and decide to change. He is the only one who can face his demons and take control of his addictions. But, in the meantime, I worry. A child should not have to carry this burden.
Love to you all, and thanks everyone.

Lana

Auburn;
I'm glad that people like you, that genuinely care, exist. Those babies are lucky to have you looking out for them.

Auburn

Geez Lana, you made me blush! Sheesh. :) Thank you very much hun. I wish I could do more for them. I can only pray that she listens to me. For her sake, and the kids. They deserve so much more.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.