More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

So, after years of therapy out in Oregon where one psychologist told me she wants me to tear up that horribly long todo list that is a source of anxiety to me, and the new va therapist saying the same thing (to get rid of that todo list!), and also my own sister telling me I have too much on there...

I did it. I tore it up (after 3 years of people telling me to get rid of it). I was relying on it to keep me focused on my goals but it never got shorter, only longer. And I was constantly anxious and stressed about not getting things done that I had (over)planned for the day. Now I'm down to just: college coursework due dates, specific appointments, and important numbers make up a total of.... ONE PAGE.

Phew. Feel pretty uneasy. But after my therapy appt today I just said enough is enough, I need to give horrible todo list up. Its obviously a source of anxiety. I need to be breezy... and besides the listed appointments for the day I just have to trust 'what I feel like doing and remember doing' instead.

Wish me luck! I'm like a baby without their safety blanket! lol

Retired

And I was constantly anxious and stressed about not getting things done that I had (over)planned for the day

Having more things to do than can be done in the time available is most certainly a source of anxiety.

When it comes to To-Do lists, I find it helps to do some "forced choice ranking". There are the things that need to be done and the things that would be nice to to do. The must do things are given priority and the optional items are either moved forward or removed altogether.

Are you OK with sorting out the must do items from the optional items in your planning?

BluMac81

Having more things to do than can be done in the time available is most certainly a source of anxiety.

When it comes to To-Do lists, I find it helps to do some "forced choice ranking". There are the things that need to be done and the things that would be nice to to do. The must do things are given priority and the optional items are either moved forward or removed altogether.

Are you OK with sorting out the must do items from the optional items in your planning?

I am okay, for now. On the positive I DO feel less anxiety throughout the day, on the negative, well, I feel fairly disorganized and uneasy about things I that should be doing but don't remember what it was (old age catching up with me! will be 27 next week yikes lol) I guess this is a trial period for me, but they were right, it HAS reduced my anxiety! Though... I do find myself sitting at the computer...doing nothing.... wondering what I should do now. I have to get out of this mindset that every waking moment during my day should be productive in some way. There is a time for R&R that is appropriate, is there not?

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I was going to ask if you scheduled 'sit down and breathe' somewhere on that list? ;) I have a daily list that's usually about 10 items long and I often don't get through it all!

Good for you for taking this step. I'm glad you're feeling less anxious, even if you're a little disconcerted, perhaps. Before long I'm sure that this new routine will start to feel a bit more normal and you will know that you can trust yourself to get things done without the list.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.