More threads by Retired

Retired

Firefox is now installed on my system. The Forum is displayed very slightly different, not enough to make a difference though.

The vB spellchecker is not visible and my previously installed IE Spell is not visible either. As I recall there may be a different installation file of IE Spell for FF.

Is the "Page Info" available only by right clicking and viewing it in a separate popup or can the page info be seen continuously with FF?

Steve

Benjamin

The vB spellchecker is not visible
Firefox has a built-in spell checker.

I like Firefox because it's not a Microsoft product. And it has a nice FTP plugin. And besides, I'm working in Linux most of the time and Explorer isn't available for Linux.

AVC

Great data Benjamin, thanks for posting the links, they can be hard to find for a lot of us! :dimples:

Retired

Thank you for the info, Benjamin!

If you have any further insights to share in connection with FireFox, please feel free to share them for the unitiated...like me :eek:

Regards,

AVC

I'm using Firefox at the moment, one good thing about it now is you can check for latest version and they offer automatic updates, in the past this was not available, now there is a built in spell check also that underlines the word in red as you are typing, that is great and makes us all look much smarter. :D

Retired

At first I was missing my favorite IE Spell I used with IE until I discovered the built in spellchecker in FF.

Just right click on the underlined word for the correct spelling..pretty nifty.

AVC if you have any further insights into FF, please pass them along.

I lived dangerously yesterday and changed the style to a other than the default. No unexpected software behaviour :)

And I especially like the FTP plug in, including the icon in the toolbar. I do believe I will like FF.

Last edited:

Retired

I'm having some second thoughts about FF as it locks up my system when I ues Corel Clipbook with the browser.

It's a tool I use regularly for copy/pasting material online so I cannot afford to have lockups under these conditions.

Another unexpected behaviour id the inability of FF to recognize login cookies, even though the FF dialogue asks If I want FF to remember the login details.

For now I'm back to IE :rolleyes:

AVC

Firefox can be inconvenient when posting on a vB forum, it changes the posting interface and you have to scroll to see all the text, it also seems much slower on XP, for these reasons I use IE7.

Many Windows users like to use Firefox for certain things, that is me, when IE will not save a file, I open it with FF, some Windows users use Firefox full time, for me it does not make sense because IE works better on vB forums where I do most of my writing.

In addition, the spell checker on the vB posting interface disappears when using FF, so all in all for people that use vB forums IE7 is the way to go right now!

Retired

Use The Force... (aka IE7

I would like to but first I have to solve a couple of problems.

There is a file (probably a dll) inserted by Dell which points IE7 to a Dell supported site as its homepage. This file is overcome by IE6 when I choose (in my case a blank start up) but cannot be overcome in IE7.

Also, IE7 interacts in a negative manner with my email client, which does not occur with IE6.

These are currently on my to do list.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Steve:

I like Dell computers (I'm using one now) but they do have a bad habit of adding or altering things without asking.

Attached is a small utility with the charming name of PC-De-Crapifier that remedies some of that. I don't guarantee that it will remove your DLL but it's worth a shot.

Attachments

• PC-De-Crapifier-1.6.zip
    152.3 KB · Views: 2

Retired

After having installed, tried and finally uninstalled FF, the overall experience has not been easy.

Following the uninstallation, one of my multimedia components began working erratically. After performing various diagnostics, I decided to do a system restore to prior to the FF installation.

The Multimedia component resumed working normally, but then McAfee became corrupted in the process. Reinstalled McAfee to find another unrelated program to have failed.

Uninstall, reinstall hours later and a bad word or two, I think I've got things back to normal.

I thought FF was supposed to be a benign installation, but not for me. {sigh}

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.