More threads by forgetmenot

i use xp on my computer
i changed everything now i went to google chrome from firefox it kept saying nothing was private it said my computer was in danger but that was the virus that msg was

anyways somehow i have gone over to another system it seems to work right now thanks and i can recieve my msg from hotmail to gmail now it says it will import them just very confusing new format but it will be ok as long as i can get online on the forums i am ok i don't feel so alone then

Thanks Steve

Retired

it kept saying nothing was private it said my computer was in danger

What program was reporting your computer was in danger? Was this a Windows alert message, your anti virus, a message on your browser or a message at boot up?

What anti virus is active right now? You need to have a good anti virus program on your XP computer and turn off or uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials if you were using it, because MS doesn't up date it any longer on XP machines and you should not have two anti virus programs running simultaneously.

i have gone over to another system

What system is that?

i can recieve my msg from hotmail to gmail now it says it will import them just very confusing new format

Am I understanding correctly you have stopped using Hotmail, transferred your contacts to Gmail and you are now learning how to navigate Gmail?

Perhaps we can help you with that.

Google Chrome works well on an XP machine...I use it on an XP computer I have and it's much safr and secure than Microsoft Internet Explorer which MS is no longer updating on XP operating systems.

it kept saying nothing was private it said my computer was in danger
What program was reporting your computer was in danger? Was this a Windows alert message, your anti virus, a message on your browser or a message at boot up?

i don't know really i think it wwas windows alert msg but it kept saying download a antivirus i followed instructions but it did not improve anything i tried to undue the damage it had said my computer was under but it did nothing
i eventually just unplugged the computer for a couple of days then tried to get on but the same msg kept coming on
My hsb said the msg was the virus uggg

i went to system and hit repair button and kept hitting it then it allowed me to get back on internet where i chose to go to google chrome and get off firefox i do think it was firefox screwing up things for me

I really do not know if i have an antivirus on my computer now as i deleted anything that had to do with that thinking it would help me to get back on my computer right now it seems to be ok

Yes i am using gmail now it transports me mail from hotmail if i get it i don't understand it though but sometimes i can still get into outlook i don't know how it happens i click a msg on gmail that was transported from my hotmail and it takes me back to outlook so confusing really i hate technology

but it is technology that allows me not to be alone when it is working

Retired

i eventually just unplugged the computer for a couple of days then tried to get on but the same msg kept coming on
My hsb said the msg was the virus uggg

I concur this behaviour raises a red flag that some form of malware may have been installed on your system, and may require a computer professional to investigate.

In the meantime, do not agree to allow any request from this message to take any action, especially do not give any personla or credit card information.

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, and look for an antivirus program such as McAfee, Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender, or some other anti virus you recall having installed.

Please report on your findings.

Steve

I am afraid to even do anything now as it seems to be working ok with new program i had avarus i think my son installed i know McAfee keeps wanting me to install there and windows defender is a name that kept popping up all the time uggg it was so annoying i think that was the culprit.

For now i am just leaving it be and i will not open anything i don't recognize like the email i got saying it was canada revenue owing me money but it said dear taxpayer

that was the red alert it did not say my name so i did not open it

Google Chrome seems to be working well now

Retired

The choice is yours, but it would be unwise to operate your computer without knowing exactly what kind of protection you have installed.

You should not have more than one antivirus software running at the same time, which is why I suggested finding our what's active and what's not.

If Windows Defender is active on your computer, it has to be removed because MS is no longer updating your definitions as part of their ceasing support for Windows XP.

If McAfee is asking to be installed or is sending you messages, you need to figure out why that is and disable it, because chances are you would have to pay, and given the information you have provided, I would not trust any pop up on your system that would ask for money.

Hopefully you can get someone trustworthy to come and inspect your system, and clean it up.

Once it's clean I would install the free version of Avast anti virus, along with the free version of Malwarebytes..together they provide protection against viruses and malware. I use this combination on my own systems as well as several I maintain .

Thanks Steve that is what my son installed was avast free antiviurs i will ask him to look at my computer but it won't bbe for along time i do not see him now he has moved away but thanks i will not be downloading anything or opening any emails not until i get some help thanks

Microsoft keeps asking me to varify email addresses for security reasons but last time i did that is when virus took over
My son is coming down on easter sunday so i will wait and let him sort it all o ut

I am just happy to be able to get on my forums really i don't email anyone anyways now and i can get on internet now so that is good I do n't know how people do it with all these new gadgets and stuff i want to go back to old phone new one blah too many things to go wrong there it freezes up too like a computer it is

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.