More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Fish oil best bet in depression fight
15th November 2006
by CATHY O?LEARY, The Western Australian

Omega-3 rich fish oil has come up trumps as a natural way to beat depression, showing more promise than other remedies such as St John?s wort and B vitamins.

Researchers from Sydney University?s department of psychology have found that popping fish oil supplements or having three serves a week of oily-type fish such as salmon, sardines or tuna can ease the symptoms of depression.

Writing in the Dietitians Association of Australia?s journal Nutrition and Dietetics, they argued that omega-3s could have a role alongside antidepressants in helping some of the estimated one million Australians who have depression.

Fish oil is already seen as something of a wonder potion to reduce the risk of heart disease by making blood less likely to clot and protecting against irregular heartbeats which can cause sudden death.

Lead author and dietitian Dianne Volker said a review of all existing literature on the subject had concluded that good nutrition played a key role in managing depression.

?We have found evidence of the potential therapeutic benefits of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the diet which may contribute to an eventual recovery in the long term,? she said.

?This is definitely a valuable add-on to the psychosocial and pharmacological treatment therapy that depression sufferers undergo.?

The study also found that vitamins B6 and B12, folate, the chemical S-Adenosyl-Methionine (SAMe), the amino acid tryptophan and the herbal remedy St John?s wort showed promise in relieving depressive symptoms.

But the researchers said it was too early to say how much of each compound or vitamin was needed to have a noticeable effect on depression.

They said the safest and most sensible approach to take when considering omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation was to follow the recommendations for reducing the risk of heart disease.

just mary

This is good to know. I started taking fish oil supplements for my skin (and a few other things) but any other benefit is great.

The only thing I find prohibitive about fish oil supplements is their cost. They can be pricey so I always try to keep an eye out for sales. I'm not sure if I can say this or not, but I find CostCo can have some pretty good deals on ALL vitamins and mineral - you just have to watch for the sales.

And does anyone know which fish oil is best to get? And I've seen Omega-3 and Omega 3-6-9 in the stores, I know they have different ingredients but is one better than the other?

Thanks,

jm

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Walmart sells a bottle of about 300 fish oil pills (1,000 mg each including 180 mg of EPA) for under $7. The pills are of good quality and are MEG-3 certified.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Modern western diets usually have plenty of (or too much) Omega-6. It's the Omega-3 we don't usually get enough of.

To be honest, I didn't even know there WAS an Omega-9.

just mary

Confusing isn't it, here's some info on omega-9 or ω-9, compliments of Wikipedia:

Two commercially important ω-9 fatty acids are:

Oleic acid (18:1 ω-9) which is a main component of olive oil and other monounsaturated fats.

Erucic acid (22:1 ω-9) which is found in rapeseed, wallflower seed, and mustard seed. Rapeseed with high erucic acid content is grown for commercial use in paintings and coatings as a drying oil.

Unlike ω-3 and ω-6 fatty acids, ω-9 fatty acids are not classed as essential fatty acids (EFA). This is both because they can be created by the human body from unsaturated fat and are therefore not essential in the diet, and because the lack of an ω-6 double bond keeps them from participating in the reactions that form the eicosanoids.

And thanks for the price info Daniel :) , I've never seen it that inexpensive however. It could be due to country of residence though, I'm from Canada and I don't recall you being from Canada - though I could be wrong. I will definitely give Wal-mart another look though.

Thanks.

jm

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.