More threads by Debbir5347

Has anyone ever read about mood disorders being associated with food allergies or certain foods that possibly trigger episodes in a person with mental health issues? I'm just thinking if foods and hormonal changes tend to cause a typically healthy person to have swings, would it be far fetched to assume it could throw one with mental health problems over the edge?

Hi Debbi,

Foods and environmental substances can cause a number of mental health problems from depression to even hyperactivity (and many more). Some ingredients to our foods have been modified and can cause allergic reactions. It is important to communicate with your medical doctor and have the necessary tests to discover what allergies you might have to foods and other agents. Mold spores are terrible and can cause allergic reactions similar to those of ADHD. Even the hair and skin products you use can have significant influence on your life. Here are some links to help you with this topic:

ADHD and Allergies

Diet Soda and Mental Health

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Coincidentally, although this is outside my areas of expertise, I was listening to some comments on the radio on the way home from work tonight where a woman was talking about purported evidence linking excessive sugar intake to reduced effectiveness of the immune system.

David,

I have heard the same thing.

I should note that some physicians do not believe the findings of many of the studies regarding allergies and mental health problems.

(I had a great experience while on my internship...one of the other interns educated us on the environmental and food allergies that can affect our mental and physical health. There is a new division of psychology regarding these aspects of mental health. The intern sure did open my eyes).

Debbi...hope you have nice evening as well.

Kanadiana

These sorts of thinks (foods and other things that effect us) ARE really important I believe.

Body/mind ... mind/body ... makes sense to me. each effects and interacts with the other. I personally think we all need to become experts on our own minds and bodies and what works for us individually as to not only WHAT we ingest, but also WHEN ... when feeling a certain way ... sugar will drive me up the wall and really effect me, but another time, not at all. Depends on how my system and everything is functioning at the time. Allergies and sensitivities to foods and ingredients can certainly effect brain function and moods ... (wheat can cause foggy brain etc for anyone with sensitivities or allergies ... and sometimes a person can handle certain foods and other times not. For myself this has certainly been true. My abilities to handle certain foods/etc seem to fluctuate with the state of my system ... and my "moods" can as well.

A friend of mine who has fibromyalgia can not handle sugar ... as by the next day she's extremely flared with symptoms.

Another thing about foods ... addictions/allergies links. Foods we become addicted to, we can become allergic to .... allergies can certainly make for foggy brain and interference with attention and ability to focus etc. Not eating til later in a day can cause a bloodsugar dive when a person finally eats ... causing drowsiness and fogginess/spaciness. I KNOW this to be true ... many diabetics and blood sugar problems in my genetic line ;) Eating regular important.

Guess thats where "eat a healthy and VARIED diet comes in??? :D

I dunno ... this is me going off on a tangent ;)

PS: Don't forget as well ... stress and anxiety can play hell with digesting food properly.

Eunoia

I don't know if this helps, but here is what I found along the lines of food, mental illness etc. (from one of my texts):

"As clinicians have gained experience with MAO inhibitors [antidepressant drug], they have learned that the drugs can also create serious medical problems. Apparently many of the foos we eat- including cheeses, certain fish, bananas, and certain wines- contain tyramine, a chemical that can raise blood pressure dangerously if too much of it accumulates (Stahl, 1998). Normally, MAO in the liver serves the beneficial role of quickly breaking tyramine down into another chemical, hence keeping blood pressure under control. Unfortunately, when MAO inhibitors are taken to combat depression, they also block the production of MAO in the liver and intestines. This action allows tryramine to accumulate and puts the person in great danger of high blood pressure [...]."

also, google had the following:
http://www.dbsalliance.org/PDF/FoodMoodE2.pdf

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Nutrition/geary56.htm

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/treatments/trt_details.php?trtID=25 (this one looks really informative about a variety of foods, it includes the following info)

Eating for mental health checklist

1. Low in potential food stressors
- Low in additives
- Low in refined/added sugar
- Low in stimulants (chocolate/caffeine)
- Hypoallergenic (e.g. wheat and dairy)

2. High in food supporters
- Contains essential fats, particularly omega 3 food sources
- High in complex carbohydrates (or low Glycaemic Index foods)
- High in fruit and vegetables for vitamins and minerals
- Contains protein

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.