More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
France to outlaw promotion of extreme thinness
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
CBC News

French legislators are poised to make it illegal for websites and publications to promote extreme thinness.

The proposed law would apply to fashion magazines, advertisers and websites. Those found guilty of inciting others to deprive themselves of food to an 'excessive' degree would face imprisonment and fines of up to $47,000 US.

The National Assembly approved the bill in a series of votes Tuesday. It goes to the Senate in the coming weeks.

The bill is the latest and strongest of measures proposed after the 2006 anorexia-linked death of a Brazilian model prompted efforts throughout the international fashion industry to address the repercussions of using ultra-thin models. The 21-year-old model weighed just 88 pounds when she died of generalized infection caused by anorexia nervosa.

French lawmakers and fashion industry members signed a nonbonding charter last week on promoting healthier body images. Last year, Spain banned ultra-thin models from catwalks.

In March, Italian authorities launched a $1.5-million US campaign against a growing epidemic of anorexia and other eating disorders in a country known for its fashion industry and image consciousness. Authorities are aiming the project at schools and the media, providing guidelines for magazines, television, radio and internet sites to discourage ultra-thin beauty ideals.

According to the French Health Ministry, most of the estimated 30,000 to 40,000 people with anorexia in the country are women.

Misha

This is wonderful. I think it is important to remember, though, that laws will only do so much and it is the pervasive attitude of society that needs to change.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes that's true. But sometimes passing a law against a certain practice or attitude can help to change attitudes - especially in the next generation.

Misha

That's funny... I knew you would respond to my comment.... Very true. And I wasn't trying to minimize that. You are right it is steps like this that change attitudes. My point was more that the older generation (even the middle generation) need to be careful not to think "oh, the government is taking care of that, I don't need to change my thinking...."

ladylore

Account Closed
Same topic but a side line. I was watching a show with Jennie Becker about the fashion industy in Canada. She referred to the models as barbie dolls for the designers to dress them up.

Misha

Ah yes Barbie dolls.... what a terrible standard for us all to have grown up with. I wonder if France will outlaw Barbie as well?

Halo

Although if I am not mistaken they are slowly changing the shape of the Barbie to be more curvy and realistic.

Misha

Why do they have to change her shape slowly? So nobody notices? Or are they waiting for a few more Brazilian models, and more of my friends, to die?

Sorry for the negativity I'm just really discouraged by the strong negative attitude I see on my unit every day. I'm starting to get better but sometimes it seems like I'm the only one.

Halo

I don't think that changing her slowly has anything to do with nobody noticing. It has to do with the company planning, production, manufacturing and selling of a product. Things like this cannot be done overnight, as much as we all would like them to be.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.