More threads by Retired

Retired

Adobe today changed everything again with the launch of Photoshop Express, a new Web-based application that allows you to edit photos in a Web-browser. The application was launched in beta form yesterday and is heavily dependent on Adobe?s flash technology.

:photo2:

DocPixel

They did indeed. However, everyone needs to be aware that there is potentially a huge issue with using it.

If you use their photosharing site, you give up many rights to your images, as taken from their TOS on their site;
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopexpress/?promoid=CBTVM

"By posting or otherwise submitting Images, you grant to Adobe and all other users of this Site permission to use your Images in connection with their use permitted by these Terms of Use (including making prints and gift items incorporating such Images), including an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully paid up license under all Intellectual Property Rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate, transmit and reformat your Images, with or without having your name attached to such Images, in any manner or form and for any purpose, with full rights to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of distribution. You will receive no compensation with respect to the use of your Images."

Essentially, you are giving up your rights to your images. So not too many savvy professionals are likely to be using this resource, as these rights are tied to income. Copyrights need to be ferociously guarded. And I must say that it's a huge disappointment to many of us that Adobe would do this.

For anyone who just wants to enhance and upload family snapshots, it's probably a non-issue. However, please be aware that this gives Adobe the right to use any photo that you upload in any way they choose, without limitation.

Retired

Thanks for the heads up, DocPix.

I've often wondered how do you go about copyrighting a photograph, and how broad is the protection? IOW do all countries respect the copyright (except of course for the well known pirate countries)?

DocPixel

Steve, as soon as you make/take/create a photograph, you own the copyright. To protect it further, one can register it with the Library of Congress, by sending a CD with a registration fee. That makes it bulletproof, if you really need to prove that you originally made an image before someone else claims they did. Mostly, it's not necessary though. I've never registered any of mine.

The exception to this is if you made it under a written "for hire" agreement that says the company will own the copyright. Then they own it, but it does have to be in writing. Other than that, if you make the picture, you own the copyright.

Most countries follow the Berne Convention, which is a universal agreement. I think there might be some differences here and there, but basically it's pretty standard.

Here's a wiki link if you'd like to know more.

lallieth

I tried to sign up,but this is only available in the US and that the fact that they "own" the pictures makes me not want to sign up

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.