More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Fresh Sprout brand bean sprouts recalled due to possible Salmonella
CBC News
Feb 22, 2020

Recall triggered by Canadian Food Inspection Agency test results

cache.php

Fresh Sprout International’s fresh bean sprouts sold in 454-g bags have been recalled after federal testing. (CFIA)

Fresh Sprout brand fresh bean sprouts has been recalled due to possible salmonella contamination," the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) said.

The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.

The recall applies to Fresh Sprout International's fresh bean sprouts 454 g 8 27468 00100 0 with best before date 2020 FEB 28.

The recall was triggered by Canadian Food Inspection Agency test results. Agency staff is conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products.

CFIA said consumers should not consume the recalled product.

The agency further advised consumers:

• If you think you became sick from consuming a recalled product, call your doctor.
  • Check to see if you have the recalled product in your home. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.
  • Food contaminated with Salmonella may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick. Young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems may contract serious and sometimes deadly infections. Healthy people may experience short-term symptoms such as fever, headache, vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Long-term complications may include severe arthritis.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I used to love raw sprouts in a sandwich years ago before reports like these. They seem to be selling it a lot less too. I only use it now for cooking in stir frys.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yeah I used to put them in stir fries and I would also make grilled open-faced sesame seed, cheese, and beansprouts sandwiches - a recipe I stole from the Chez Piggy restaurant in Kingston, Ontario, founded in 1979 by Zal Yanovsky who was previously the bassist for the Lovin' Spoonful band. Great place for lunch or dinner!

But I haven't even bought them for years. There seem to always be warnings about them.

And a great jug band in the 60s and 70s.

Are you sure you're both not just pretending to like sprouts? I tolerate them in Pad Thai but that's about it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No I actually do like them, raw or lightly cooked. You don't want to overcook them, though, because they get mushy, so in a stir fry they would be one of the last things to add to the wok.

If they're safe in your area, you really might like the grilled open face sandwich I mentioned above.

One piece of bread. Add some bean sprouts. A nice slice of real cheese (not processed) - your choice - cheddar, marble, mozzarella, swiss... and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Pop in the oven on grill or a toaster oven until the cheese melts and is lightly browned.

Yummy.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.