More threads by David Baxter PhD

Hermes

Re: Top Ten Films That Feature Mental Illness

Well, let's call them disordered, then.

There is a certain perverse quality to gaslighting, which, IMO, goes beyond someone doing something for gain. You are right, people will do lots of things to get their hands on money -- they rob banks, mug people, do con jobs, forge documents, even online scams.

Hermes

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

The history of how the justice system views antisocial personality disorder and/or psychopathy would agree with "disordered" as in personality disorder rather than "insanity". At one time in Canada, back in the 50s and 60s, criminals found to be psychopaths were found not guilty by reason if insanity and hospitalized in secure facilities like Penetanguishene in Ontario. Hoewevr, by the 70s, the courts (rightfully) decided that psychopaths are not insane either in the sense that they don't know right from wrong or cannot predict reasonable outcomes of their behaviors. Not caring isn't the same as being insane.

Or as Homer Simpson :homer: said to Lisa :lisa:, "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand".

Hermes

A fascinating and complex subject: psychopathy. So much has been written (I have read some of Dr. Robert Hare's writing, and some years back saw a T.V. documentary on psychopathy in which he appeared), and yet there would seem to be varying opinions on the disorder.
It would seem the psychopath has no insight into why he or she is a psychopath, or even that s/he IS one.

How is a psychopath fabricated? Now there is a difficult question, if ever there was one. Nature (bad wiring)? Nurture (shall we say a peculiar parenting style)?
Can a psychopath ever think: "I no longer wish to be a psychopath". ?

Maybe, after all, evolution is still in its very early days, and some are born to be throwbacks to our reptilian ancestors. There's a thought.

Hermes

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.