More threads by ailsa

ailsa

I am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the brand name lamictal and the generic, what side effects you have experienced if any, and how long it took before you noticed a difference (BPD, not Epilepsy).

Retired

Generic vs brand is a controversial and often contentious debate, depending on what point is being debated.

Generic replacements of the brand name offer a low cost alternative to the brand name product. After the patent protection period expires for the manufacturer which developed, researched and initially marketed the medication, regulatory agencies allow generic manufacturers to make and distribute bio equivalent versions of the brand name drug.

Bio equivalence does not necessarily mean identical, but the active ingredients must be the same, and the dose equivalent. Differences might occur in the inactive ingredients, the colors, the binders and other characteristics that should not affect effectiveness or absorption.

The concerns expressed by some relate to effectiveness and absorption.

Generic manufacturers claim their products meet the same rigorous standards used in brand name manufacturing, and the variation between manufactured batches is the same as that of brand manufacturers.

If in doubt, discuss your concerns with your doctor who should have clinical experience with former patients who have used brand and generics and would have reported any problems.

If you switch from a medication made by one manufacturer to one made by a different manufacturer and notice significant change in the way it relieves symptoms or affects your system, report the discrepancy to your doctor first, to find out your options.

Generics appear to be here to stay, and the choice is not always available to consumers, since some brand manufacturers abandon making medications that are no longer profitable, and only generics are available.

If you have a preference for brand name drugs, ask your doctor to write the brand name on the prescription along with the words "no substitution" if it is permitted in your jurisdiction. The laws governing substitution vary from place to place so ask your doctor what are your rights.

ailsa

Thank you for the speedy and comprehensive reply, Steve. I knew enought to ask my doc to put a 'no substitute' on the px, and found a pharmacy that has the name brand. I have been doing research online - subjective reports from users and about 90% (mostly in the US), isist that the generic product is inferior and they had problems when switching from brand name to generic. Since this is Canada, that issue may not to applicable.

I really appreciate the warm welcome and quick succinct info from you and all who replied to me.

Ailsa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.