More threads by redstar

redstar

I wondered about other peoples experience of reconnecting to some extent with emotions again as you start to escape from the dreamy dissociative state.
I recently began psychotherapy and have been to two sessions though I'm finding it difficult in some ways ; the robotic, clinical edge ..that ok I'm going to start the tape now spiel..the condescending qualities. I know this would sound trivial to some but I wonder sometimes whether this sort of therapy takes away from someones own path with the imposition of the perspective of a scientifically minded person.
I find it difficult in knowing how to express the different emotions. It feels like a scream trapped in my body, a rawness; so powerful and crippling that it seeps out even from my pores . Thats one of the most difficult aspects for me; imagining that other people can see this, know this is here and are full of rejection. How do others deal with these feelings of frustration? What do people do to nurture themselves?
I'm so grateful for any help. Thanks

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The first few session of psychotherapy are typically a process of information gathering, problem identification/diagnosis, and trust building, both for the client/patient and for the therapist. When strong emotions, especially suppressed or repressed emotions, or dissociation or PTSD are involved, it is also important to proceed slowly. You don't just slap someone with the full force of whatever emotional reactions are there -- that would be harmful and completely unethical and irresponsible.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.