More threads by Ashley-Kate

As we look back a couple of years ago eating disorderwere not as common as today i was thinking of maybe doing a project at my school once i get out of therapie that is to like do a prevention or something in that sort but i don't have that many ideas but just to do somthing to help stop this epidemic of e-d'S. Just wondering if any of you have ny suggestions
yurs trully ashley

getting too popular..

As we look back a couple of years ago eating disorderwere not as common as today i was thinking of maybe doing a project at my school once i get out of therapie that is to like do a prevention or something in that sort but i don't have that many ideas but just to do somthing to help stop this epidemic of e-d'S. Just wondering if any of you have ny suggestions
yurs trully ashley

Eunoia

getting too popular..

hey ashley-kate! I think that's a great idea. The first thing though that you have to make sure of though is that you are 100% (or near that much) ok in terms of your ed and food issues. Why am I saying this? B/c I think it can become a treacherous cycle w/ having been through an ed and then getting involved in some part of that disorder if you are not yet able to deal w/ old feelings, thoughts, habits in different ways. On the other hand, I think putting your energy into something constructive that will help others and give you an opportunity to use your experiences in a positive way can never hurt. It's definately true that ed's have become a lot more "main stream". They seem to be "popular" w/out people knowing what they're getting themselves into or what it actually means when someone has an ed. Media sure plays a big role in this, which can obviously be negative in terms of the "ideal body figure" but also positive in terms of heightening awareness, thus allowing more people to be able to seek help and be diagnosed.

Try raising your thoughts/ideas to someone who could help you w/ this. ie. talk to you counsellor at school and get them involved. They'll be able to get your message across. What about starting a health magazine (something I was involved in)? This way others can contribute as well and it is a definite way to ensure your message isn't lost in the short term. Or maybe a Health Club. ie. to promote healthy lifestyle choices emotionally, mentally, physically etc.

Go check out the ANAD website and other resources to see what they suggest and do in terms of promoting better health and fighting ed's.

Hope some of this helped. But take care of yourself first, ok? That's the most important thing in you actually being able to help anyone in the long run...

Eunoia

getting too popular..

hey ashley-kate! I think that's a great idea. The first thing though that you have to make sure of though is that you are 100% (or near that much) ok in terms of your ed and food issues. Why am I saying this? B/c I think it can become a treacherous cycle w/ having been through an ed and then getting involved in some part of that disorder if you are not yet able to deal w/ old feelings, thoughts, habits in different ways. On the other hand, I think putting your energy into something constructive that will help others and give you an opportunity to use your experiences in a positive way can never hurt. It's definately true that ed's have become a lot more "main stream". They seem to be "popular" w/out people knowing what they're getting themselves into or what it actually means when someone has an ed. Media sure plays a big role in this, which can obviously be negative in terms of the "ideal body figure" but also positive in terms of heightening awareness, thus allowing more people to be able to seek help and be diagnosed.

Try raising your thoughts/ideas to someone who could help you w/ this. ie. talk to you counsellor at school and get them involved. They'll be able to get your message across. What about starting a health magazine (something I was involved in)? This way others can contribute as well and it is a definite way to ensure your message isn't lost in the short term. Or maybe a Health Club. ie. to promote healthy lifestyle choices emotionally, mentally, physically etc.

Go check out the ANAD website and other resources to see what they suggest and do in terms of promoting better health and fighting ed's.

Hope some of this helped. But take care of yourself first, ok? That's the most important thing in you actually being able to help anyone in the long run...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.