More threads by jawn_tech

jawn_tech

Hello, everyone!

It's great to be accepted to the forum. My interest in coming here is that I have a son with Autism, PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder). I saw the Autism category was somewhat a recent addition to the forum. So I predict I'll be somewhat active in that area. As a parent of a child with Autism, hopefully I have some of my own perspective to share, my own research (as a non-professional), as well as learn myself as I'm always in constant research. Probably will be for the rest of my days.

But that's what life requires, doesn't it? Always learning.

I also send a salute to Dr. David, whom I've gotten to know online. He's "all aces", as they used to say in the old days, reminded by Conan O'Brien recently on his show who used that phrase about something. I've been somewhat of a fan of Dr. David's work, as I love psychology.

As I'm meeting you all probably for the first time, I'm very glad to meet you. I may tend to try to be humorous sometimes (in good taste), but my reason for being here is no joke. My son, whom I love with all of my being, is very precious to me. And it's my hope to learn and to share.

On a side note, my wife is also Deaf. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall in our home from time to time. I must admit, if I were to distance myself from myself for a minute, it is quite fascinating. If that makes any sense.

Nice meeting you all.

- JT

Hi JT

Just wanted to say a quick hello and welcome:) Nice to meet you, no doubt will get to chat with you later!!:)

Best wishes TTE

ThatLady

Welcome to PsychLinks! It sounds like you have a great deal to offer based on your experience with your son and your wife. I'll look forward to reading your perspectives. :)

Retired

Hello JT and welcome to Psychlinks. Are you involved in any support organizations for people who deal with Autism?

Your contribution to the Autism section will certainly be a valuable resource to the Forum.

Feel free to join in any ongoing discussion and let us know if you need help navigation any of the Forum features.

Regards,

Hi GTBH! I am new here too (relatively). This is an incredibly supportive forum for everyone.

I have a nephew who is autistic and another nephew who is ADHD and profoundly deaf (he got a cochlear implant at 2). My son was diagnosed "borderline autistic" years ago and was in special education in school through the 7th grade. He is so much better, but it was a real struggle, especially with his self destructive behaviors. I feel very much for you and hope that you can gain some support from everyone, just like I am finding here.

HA

Welcome Jawn_Tech,

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences and thoughts on the autism forum. I have a son who developed schizophrenia at the age of 17.

I have worked with a number of people in different age groups with autism. The last children I worked with were a set of twin boys in junior kindergarten. I used basic sign language and The Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) with them. I currently work in a different field.

I hope you have good supports and programs in the area where you live.

I imagine your house to be a very interesting and rich environment!

Cheers

jawn_tech

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody!

Hi, Dr. David!

I'm actually surprised I'm here because I normally don't seek out conversations about autism. But in fact I guess that's why I'm here. I didn't want to join just any forum unless I knew something about who was behind it. Like I said, I really respect Dr. David's work and expertise in the field, and additionally, I've lurked here once or twice just to read the interesting discussions. This is great!

In my personal life, I get all sorts of questions about autism, of course mainly about my son and what his abilities or disabilities are. I usually accomodate, but overall it's something I'm uneasy talking about. Getting the diagnosis, twice, wasn't something any father or mother wants to hear. So my mind goes back to that time a lot, just a little over 3 years ago.

But you know what, sharing experiences can only help the global situation at large, at least with autism. This is a big forum, and I'm honored to have the opportunity to join.

:)

Holly

Welcome to the forum,
I am sure your input will be appreciated. I also know several deaf people myself, I personally have advocated with the courts to have more services available in the Criminal Justice System.
It is important for anyone with a disability/illness to feel they can report a crime and be understood properly.
The courts are making many unique strives toward this area. take care :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.