More threads by sweetsoleil

Hi my name is Maria.

Im here because I finally realize Im not alone with my struggles. I really thought I was just extremely shy for most of my life. I also thought i likely had ADHD. I thought I could pretend to be "normal" but as the years go by its obvious I struggle with life more than many people i know do. My family say things like "oh there isnt a thing wrong with you" or "you are just unique and think differently than most people".

Growing up my gramma would laugh and say "you are just backwards thats all", which i had no idea what she meant, but now the thought actually makes me giggle. I am different. I have been diagnosed with a huge list of things over the past 20 years. Im 39, turning 40 next month. Most are anxiety related. generalized anxiety disorder, seasonal effective disorder, depression (which i argued for many years, but now would have to possible agree lol) agoraphobia with panic, OCD, social anxiety.

Recently, i have been diagnosed with PTSD complex i think he said...I also have a dissociative disorder which i have come to count on, knowing its not even normal! I used alcohol for most of my life to help self medicate. It worked for anxiety, perhaps, but always caused sooo many other problems id have to deal with. I quit drinking for 5 years until recently...just one cold beer here and there...

Anyway, i have joined this website and am very new to using the computer as a means of communicating so i hope i do things correctly on here. I already feel better just reading many of the things people have said. I really dont feel alone anymore. Funny how just finding this website gave me a sence of hope and friendship. My agoraphobia has been quite extreme for the past year..so im home almost 100% of the time. I enjoy reading the positive things people say about other people on this site.

I have no real therapist as of yet...apparently the waiting lists are insanely long...so until that happens ill happily be in the background here reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

Re: good day to everyone!

Hello Maria and welcome to Psychlinks. Hope you might find the information and support you need.

Growing up my gramma would laugh and say "you are just backwards thats all",

Unfortunately there was a great deal of misunderstanding and lack of awareness of psychological and psychiatric disorders in the past, and even denial in some families that led to people growing up and living part of their lives confused and lacking proper counseling.

Feel free to join in any ongoing discussion on the Forum or start some of your own. If you need help navigating the Forum software, just ask, we'll be glad to help.

am very new to using the computer as a means of communicating so i hope i do things correctly on here

We'l help here too. The only suggestion would be to leave plenty of spaces in your posts. Surprisingly posts written with no spaces between paragraphs are more difficult to read.

Enjoy the Forum!

Hi hun ya i can relate to using the computer first time to connect to others it was like i could breath again i was not so alone. You are not alone now either ok You post when you need to for support ok nice to meet you

Thank you Steve for reformatting my introduction, Ill try to remember to space better in the future. :)

I agree with you about families being in denial about mental issues. My grandmother (who mostly raised me as a child) was very "hush hush" about MANY things that should have been addressed back then...however, i don't blame her as times were different and I know she had her own issues she struggled with. I think my whole family suffers from PTSD but i certainly would try to tell them that!

Thank you forgetmenot for your kind words! Its nice to meet you as well! Until today my only friends have been my dogs, my kids and the family of chipmunks that visit me in the backyard while i drink my coffee :) I ran out of peanuts last week so i dont know if they consider me their friend right now..

The sky got really dark and im hearing thunder so i best say goodbye and go hide with my dog somewhere safe :)
take care and thanks again for saying hello

to David Baxter

Thank you Sir, I have been learning many things on here and Im hoping it doesnt take me too long to learn more. I hope its sunny where you are and you get to enjoy your day!
sincerely maria

---------- Post Merged at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Thank you gentleman! What a friendly site this is, its nice to share a smile with someone as i sip my first coffee of the day :) I hope you have a great day!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.