More threads by Fiver

Fiver

I spent a major portion of the day reading the fascinating information in these threads. I could easily spend another big chunk of time here tonight if I get my butt to bed pretty soon. I will have questions, I might have a few comments, and I certainly appreciate those that have preceded whatever I might post.

Again, terrific forum here!

Hello and welcome!

Your name is reminding me of my favorite book... Could that perhaps be the source? I know it probably isn't, lol. Just checking.

Fiver

Maybe one day, if I write it. ;) However, I believe Charity is referring to Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's a fantasy novel about a warren of rabbits, one of whom is a seer named "Fiver."

But honestly? I didn't remember where I'd heard it when I first starting using this nick about ten years ago. I just thought it sounded cool. :)

Okay, I've got more catching up to do here...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I read Watership Down years ago. Actually, it's my least favorite of the books by Richard Adams, but unfortunately most of them are difficult to find now, for reasons which escape me.

Added: Actually, I just checked on amazon.com. If you liked Watership down, have a look at Shardik, Maia, and Girl in a Swing. There's also The Plague Dogs which is more in the vein of Watership Down.

Right on the nose-- I've been in love with Watership Down from the first time I read it, and I think it will always be a favorite. :) I have Shardik as well.

Fiver

David Baxter said:
I read Watership Down years ago. Actually, it's my least favorite of the books by Richard Adams, but unfortunately most of them are difficult to find now, for reasons which escape me.

I wonder if one possible reason is that his books are aimed toward a demographic age group that has grown up with more electronic media than books, so he's less popular than he'd be if there were no Internet. I know that my ADD brain much prefers the way I suck in short snippets of info via the Internet over books and journals. I read far fewer books now than I used to, partly due to the Internet (but mostly due to ongoing concentration difficulties.) I'm sure there's a study out there somewhere on this very topic. Probably several.

I think I find this a little bit sad, if in fact adolescents and young adults are not reading as much as I did at that age. Much of who I am today is partly due to authors like Marge Piercy, Alice Walker, Paul Zimmer, and (I admit it) Douglas Adams. But I'd be a hypocrite to criticize anyone for spending more time scanning the Internet than reading a book, considering how much time I spend online. Gotta get my xkcd fix every day!

(Since I can't hyper-link, xkcd can be found at xkcd.com/438 -- 438 is one of my favorites, and the whole site is very benign.)

By the way, mouse over every xkcd cartoon for the true punchline. I don't know, I guess I'm assuming there are still a few people out there who haven't hit this site yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I find this a little bit sad, if in fact adolescents and young adults are not reading as much as I did at that age. Much of who I am today is partly due to authors like Marge Piercy, Alice Walker, Paul Zimmer, and (I admit it) Douglas Adams.

I find it very sad. I grew up with my nose in a book, and I can't imagine life otherwise! I spend way too much time online myself these days, unfortunately... but I still manage to sneak in plenty of reading time! I'm always glad to meet others who appreciate the power of a good book. :)

momof5

Welcome to the forums Fiver!

Like Charity stated above, I grew up with my nose in books all the time. I would have rather read a good book then to have watched TV or go to a movie.

I still have that love for books as could be shown by the vast library of web books that I have :)

Once again, glad to have you aboard with us, and Doc does have the best forum around. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.