More threads by dmcgill

dmcgill

Hi,
Maybe some of you know this already but I just came accross a great website with some fantastic tools for a variety of subjects.

Coping

Enjoy

HA

Thanks dmcgill,

I'm currently working on this one.

Suggested steps to overcome guilt
Step 1: You can recognize the role guilt is playing in your life by choosing a current problem and answering the following questions in your journal:

a . What problem is currently troubling me?

b . Who is responsible for the problem?

c . Whose problem is it, really?

d . What did I do to make this problem worse for myself?

e . How much guilt do I feel about this problem?

f . How much does the guilt I experience exaggerate or exacerbate my problem?

g . If I felt no more guilt what would my problem look like then?

If the answer to question ``g'' is that your problem can be solved by reducing guilt, go to Step 2.

Step 2: Redefine your problem with the absence of guilt as an issue.

In answering the questions in Step 1 you recognized that guilt was preventing resolution of the problem. To redefining your problem, answer the following questions in your journal:

How insurmountable is the problem?

Is this problem an interpersonal or intrapersonal problem?

If it is interpersonal: Can I help the other person and myself to set aside guilt and resolve this problem?

If it is intrapersonal: Can I set aside guilt or the fear of it and resolve this problem?

Does this problem have more than one solution? Can others and myself experience satisfaction, comfort, and resolution with a minimum of debilitating guilt?

Whose problem is it, really?

Is it my problem or another(s)?

Am I taking on another's responsibility?

Am I trying to keep another from experiencing pain, hardship, or discomfort?

Step 3: If the problem is really someone else's, give the problem back to the person(s) to solve and to deal with.

If the problem is yours, go to Step 4.

Step 4: You must confront the real or imagined guilt or fear of guilt preventing you from either handing the problem back to the person(s) whose problem it really is (Step 3) or from handling the problem on your own. Consider the following:

a . What fears are blocking me at this moment from taking the steps I need to resolve this problem?

b . What are the irrational beliefs behind these fears?

c . Refute the irrational beliefs using the steps given in the ``Handling Irrational Beliefs'' section two in Tools for Personal Growth.

d . Initiate a program of self-affirmation as presented in the "Self-Affirmations'' section 3 in Tools for Personal Growth..

e . Use an imagery scenario with ``guilt'' as an object you packaged in a nice box. It is brought to a mountain top and thrown off a cliff for good.

f . Affirm for yourself that:

You deserve to solve this problem.

You deserve to be good to yourself

You deserve to have others be good to you, too!

Step 5: If your guilt is not resolved after completing Steps 3 and/or 4, return to Step 1 and begin again

dmcgill

Good Stuff:

Sort of like your step 4, I have had people write it down, read over it to make sure that they really own it.
burn it.

There is something about combining the physical and the not-physical when ridding your self of any pain.

Thanks! is this your's or did you find it somewhere? Would it be alright to make it up into a print out to give to some of my clients. I deal with a lot of rape survivors and guilt is a giant wall to healing.

Dennis

Rosa

Just a thanks for posting this link...I've been busy printing all the pages while I'm at work-it really has alot of great info on it. AND the prints big enough I can actually see it hahaha
Be well
Rosa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.