More threads by [talon]

[talon]

Is it just me or does this ("group" therapy for a socially anxious person?) seem a little off ?

This is what I am being encouraged to get into by my psychiatrist and my normally stressful, pressuring parents. Though I know it is for the best, and I've agreed because I am willing to take the chance and possibly help myself. However, it still worries me. How do I know I won't just shut down once I've realized what I'm getting myself into? EXAMPLE: If you don't know what I'm talking about: I mean when I walk into a room I might just realize it is too hard for me, have a panic attack, then give up and just sit there not saying anything. > For example, I've given up trying to have a social life in high school. I've discontinued speaking in class. I'm a very solidly keep-to-myself type person, nowadays. Somehow, I'm fine that way, as I've always been like that, however I know I can't live like this forever. I hate being alone. I hate feeling that me + social contact = impossible. I have realized that I can't go on in life thinking that I can get away with complete avoidance of people and social situations and actually GET somewhere....The more I avoid them, I suppose the worse my anxiety gets.

Of course, I know nothing about group therapy.

So please give me some advice, what to expect, anything? I'm not sure what to expect!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sometimes an individual may need individual therapy to prepare for group therapy but the receommended treatment for social anxiety or social phobia is group therapy. If you think about it, that makes sense because the major issue involves other people - treatment that involves exposure to other people in the same situation is often the best way to reduce the anxiety.

Hey Talon,

Glad to hear you are going to give it a try! That's excellent.

Group therapy is probably the safest ways to start challenge your anxiety around people. There will be therapists there for you as well as other people who may share similar anxieties.

I've had full on panic attacks in group therapy before - to the point of having to leave the group with one of the therapists to calm down. After the therapist helped "ground" me again, we went back in and I tried again. It was a good experience for me to keep trying until I was able to push past my anxiousness. It helped build my confidence and skills :)

You can work through your anxieties if you want to. Just remember to be patient with yourself. It can take time and a few attempts. Good for you!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.