More threads by BittersweetMisery

I was recently hospitalized, and it was because I sort of "snapped" due to having panic attacks day in and day out for over 2 weeks. Anyway, I found the article about 8 ways to help interesting. I've always been reassured I am not having a heart attack or going to die, but one night I had a migraine and took an Immitrex (which I've been doing for years). About 40 minutes later I was just laying and watching t.v. when I got hit with this horrible panic attack. I had rarely gotten them anymore and mainly suffered from other forms of anxiety. It was bad, I was hyperventilating even though I spent the whole time breathing into a bag, and I couldn't talk. (I find when I talk I feel winded which makes it worse) so I ask people around me that know about my issues to talk to me about anything but my panic (to take my mind off of it). Anyway, I waited and waited and after about 2 hours I finally did go to the E.R. Now I recently moved to Canada from the US and the healthcare here is so different, it almost scares me. By the time I was seen I was told it was an adverse reaction to Immitrex, never to take it again, and all I could do was wait it out. By that point I had taken 3 mg of Klonopin and they gave me 1 mg of Ativan in the E.R.

So, I go home and all in all it was about 7 hours long. I felt traumatized from it. I mean if someone does have something wrong like a heart attack or asthma, etc they don't experience the acute symptoms for that long. Anyway, it turned into panic attacks every night around the same time that happened. I even had a sit down with my Nurse Practitioner who explained why it happened (it's a vasoconstrictor and I guess can potentially make your body stuck in that "fight or flight" or something along those lines), but the panic attacks kept coming. Then they started during the day. I had Klonopin prn but was taking it multiple times daily and it wasn't working.

So, when I was release I was panic attack-free, or so I thought. Over the past 4 days I've suddenly been getting them again even though I am now on Klonopin as a maintenance medication. I spoke with my NP again yesterday who told me it could be a side effect of the lithium increase she had me do the day before they started happening and that I just have to wait it out.

I can't go through this again. I think they are the scariest thing I have ever experienced. I've been thought a few techniques (mindfulness and self-hypnosis and progressive muscle relaxation), but they don't work. It's like I tell myself I'll be okay, but deep down I don't believe it or something.

Sorry this was so long and if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free...

Thank you, I will check into that book. I am currently waitlisted for a psychologist, and am not sure when I will get one. I hope soon, because I do not feel that meds alone are enough. This is one thing that surprised me about the :canadian: health care system, it's a shame that so many people who need help aren't getting it. I am formerly from the States, so this socialized medicine is quite an adjustment for me.

It makes me want to do something to help... when I am back on my feet of course. I just have no idea how. I was going to go back to school for social work or psychology, but I want to do things in the meantime. My Nurse Practitioner told me to start by writing everything down, so I started a blog.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Psychiatrists in Ontario, or OHIP covered therapists, can take a year or longer but if you can afford a private therapist it isn't nearly that long.

BluMac81

It's like I tell myself I'll be okay, but deep down I don't believe it or something.

Oh how greatly I identify with that statement. Sounds like psychophysiological issues, physical feelings triggering panic attacks, or sights of things triggering panic attacks. Naturally if you see or feel that trigger on a constant basis, you will have a panic attack until you disconnect your association of this feeling...or the sight of this...or whatever trigger, with anxiety/panic. The disconnection of that association is done, I think, mostly through distraction techniques. Expect that you will have a panic attack when the trigger pops up, and distract yourself till the trigger goes away. Rinse and repeat until you've had a good week or so without being triggered.

Just my thoughts, because I know exactly what you are saying in this post, I've been there. Above all else, read my signature and let it bring you some peace...

Exactly... and that is what I am having trouble with... disconnecting them... I find I am developing phobias of everything around me. My problem with trying to distract myself is my panic attacks of late seem to stay, or keep coming back... like waves and I feel completely helpless. I thought I was having a few good days and today, BAM, I'm back to the bottom of the ol' barrel.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.