More threads by SteveB

SteveB

I don't know what to do anymore, anxiety is controling my life! The worst thing is that it is not about something stressful, but it is the fear of being embarassed by my anxiety symptoms. You see my anxiety manifests in having to go to the toilet. I guess something triggered it but now I really don't have anything to be anxious about, but the feeling is still there. And due to that, I am afraid to go out because I fear I will have to go to the toilet and I won't be able to. Maybe there is something wrong with me physically but once I am able to visit the toilet, the need is gone, most of the time at least. Does anyone else had similar problem and managed to deal with it? Or do you have any idea what I might try so I solve my problem. I am willing to try everything now, I am just so desperate, I can't have fun going out with friends anymore! Please help me!

making_art

Welcome, SteveB!

One of the dangers of diagnosing ourselves is that we could be wrong and delayed treatment could mean more problems with our health. Even though you could also be on the right track with what is causing your urgency symptoms it is best to see a family doctor or go to a walk-in clinic to rule out any physical causes of your symptoms. The doctor would also be able to refer you to a psychologist to treat your anxiety if that ends up being the probable cause. Anxiety is very treatable!

Read this article which talks about various things that can cause urgency symptoms:

Urinary Urgency - Symptoms, Causes, Treatments - Better Medicine

SteveB

You are probably right, it's the best thing to do. And just to be clear - I need to go for number two. Sorry I forgot to mention it in my first post! And still if there is anyone who have been through this and dealt with it, please share your experience, it would be good to know there is a way out!

Retired

it would be good to know there is a way out!

Yes there is a way out and the way is to seek out sound medical advice as has been mentioned.

First you need to see a physician to rule out possible physical issues; then you need to receive therapy to address the basis of your anxiety related to a bowel movement.

Anxiety over experiencing anxiety is not uncommon, and as has been said. should be treatable by a mental health professional who can help you deal with this.

When your quality of life is adversely affected by any issue, whether it is physical, emotional or psychological, you need to act on your own behalf to find a solution.

Have you discussed this with your family doctor?

Have you ever received therapy for anxiety issues?

SteveB

No, Steve, I haven't been to the doctor about this and I have not recieved therapy, but obviously I should change that. Thanks for the article make_art!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.