More threads by PrincessX

PrincessX

Account Closed
Hello, I am very happy and surprised to discover this forum! I find the blog and some of the articles informative. I believe sites like this reduce the stigma associated with mental health problems.
On a personal note, I have been through some depressive moods and I am looking for new ways of coping with an extremely busy life with a family and a stressful profession.
Recently, I took some sessions with a psychologist. I believe I went to one of the best therapists in the area, as I did a lot of research before committing to therapy. However, my experience was a bit disappointing. I had about 8 sessions. I was looking for answers, solutions, "real results". I received what I thought felt more like therapeutic communication, i.e. clarifications, synthesys of the information I provided, maybe a little bit of encouraged self-reflection. I felt that I need a "real" chage, a magic pill or some quick-fix strategy. I left therapy a little bit hopeless, realizing that change was difficult and likely impossible. The therapists agreed that my situation was difficult and complicated and that there was pretty much no way out. In the last sessions I was hopelessly trying to discover ways of overcoming the reality with new activities and to talk about how I could not just go swimming, or just go running and so on.
I though psychology was pretty much a useless tool unless one is ready to undertake steps that give realistically measured results. I thoght that a walk or painting would not resolve my problems that are real, not painted, not easily fixable. I thought it was all just a non-sense and I was just complicating my situation more by inversting a lot of money and time in something like psychotherapy. I was not sure that I could afford the fees for the amount of sessions that I eventually needed to even start exploring some issues. In fact, I realized that very few people would be able to afford "proper" therapy if there was such a thing. I feel sorry for everyone affected by life stressors or mental health illness. I work in health care and I understand that the current system does not work for those who need help. I hope to talk to you soon! Bye for now!

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hi Pepi,

Did you get a diagnosis of any kind during this time? Or was it concluded that your symptoms were not at a level of receiving a diagnosis?

Did the therapist teach you tools such as relaxation techniques, written CBT exercises, mindfulness, etc?

Just want to say hit welcome to Psychlinks I also think that if you did not connect well with this therapist then it is time to look for one that you can connect to ok My first one i did not like at all hurt me more then helped but i did not give up i search for another one and found someone i felt understood me.
I hope you do not judge on just one person ok every therapist has there own unique way of helping others their skills their approaches look for one that you can connect with hugs In regards to payment well there are some that do sliding scales or if you go to a university the new grads there provide care at a lesser rate

PrincessX

Account Closed
Thank you forgetmenot. In reply to MHealthJo: No he did not communicate any psychological diagnosis with me. When I told him that I got a new family physician, who did a quick assessment and diagnosed me with depression, he was quick to embrace this diagnosis. He just mentioned that the three types of therapies for depression are Cognitive, Behavioural and Pharmacological and that I should be well aware of these by now. Did not make any effort to teach me relaxation techniques or mindfulness or whatsoever, despite the fact that I mentioned on the very first appointment that I was open to homework. I am quite disappointed, as the guy has hundreds of publications in Psychology and what I thought was a great experience of 30+ years of psychotherapy, he is always booked, so I had to preschedule well in advance, and with all this, not much help. Helped me only in regards to accepting a family member's cancer diagnosis. But no strategies for coping. I tried anti-depressants, but they were too strong for me, made me feel really sick and I decided that I should not be taking them. In fact, I am feeling much better now without any medications. Some of the "real life" issues resolved temporarily and this made me feel way less stressed + the summer season is always helpful. I was looking into going to the local Zen centre, but I really do not have much time and I am afraid they require a huge time commitment, staying there for days and so on, maybe not for me, I am a young, busy mother. As I said, I work in a hospital and maybe that caused him to decide to not teach me anything, I do not know, but I was looking for help and got very little out of the money I paid. I am not poor, but dealing with insurance companies itself is a pain, and the fees for psychology in ON are high, not unjustified for the providers, just high. I was ready to pay, but I did not see much benefit. Sad, given that psychology is such a fascinating discipline, I am very attracted to it myself.

Ssometimes when one works in the health field a therapist may think we do not need direction how wrong they are.

Unfortunately time is what is needed to get full affects of therapy 8 session would not even be enough time to really gain a feeling of trust at least not for me.

Psychology is a fascinating field it is and like all professions some are great at perhaps research while others are better at teaching
I hope i am making sense please do not give up ok you can and will meet a psychologist that will meet your needs

PrincessX

Account Closed
Any ideas on how to find a better match in therapy? The problem is, I have not been in private therapy before and was not sure what to expect. I also respect therapist's unique approaches and although my previous therapist was a great communicator, it just felt like going nowhere and I felt like making no progress. When I asked him if he thinks that I should continue with therapy he simply shook his shoulders and replied "I do not know. Is it helping you?" I was shocked by this indifference and lack of planning individual goals. As a health care provider myself, I always have certain goals and hopes for my clients and I am able to tell them at any time how exactly I can help them and in which areas I am unable to help. I am afraid I will need to see a psychologist in the future and do not know how to find a person who is helpful.

---------- Post Merged at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Oops I meant shrug his shoulders in the above post... anyways I hate to post this in a forum as it should be only between provider and client, but I thought someone might advise me as to how to find a better match.

You ask around go online see what the psychologist techniques are there approaches to therapy you interview them really and ask them what there approaches would be to help you You work as a team you tell the therapist what your needs are and see if they can provide you with what skills you will need to improve you situation

If you were not happy with last therapist an open conversation with your therapist like you are doing here may have helped the therapist change his approach maybe if not then time to move on to one that will listen and help you

making_art

Welcome, Pepi!

I think one of the most important aspects of getting help from a psychologist or other therapist is finding a good fit. In other words, feeling very comfortable and like you are being helped! Sometimes it takes time to find a good fit and what has worked for me when finding therapists is getting a referral from friends but also looking online and reading their bio. I have seen a few therapists over the years and did have some trial and errors where I had one appointment and decided it was not a good fit for me. So don't give up yet.....just try another one. You will find someone that will be very helpful for you.

PrincessX

Account Closed
Hello, thank you for the encouragement! I will try talking to my old therapist and meanwhile search for a new one!

making_art

I will try talking to my old therapist and meanwhile search for a new one!
Good idea, Pepi! You also might find the following articles about how to find a therapist helpful. Other articles in the same section on Psychlinks will most likely be of interest also, Pepi....good luck!

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/therapy-and-therapists/11459-how-to-find-the-best-therapist-for-you.html

[url]http://forum.psychlinks.ca/therapy-and-therapists/26000-how-to-find-a-good-therapist.html

[/URL]

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.