More threads by Pureheart

Pureheart

I have been meaning to write for awhile since I signed up but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think this site is incredible! What a wonderful concept :2thumbs:

I don't know where to begin...:confused:

Basically I had very mild anxiety and my panic attacks were seldom. My boyfriend at that time has suggested I see a doctor for ant-depressants so I went to see my family doctor. She put me on Paxil and after 6 months I stopped. Later I started Effexor XR and I have been taking them for approximately 9 years.

About 2 years ago I started to get reoccurring panic attacks and it has caused me to plummet into a depression. I started a new job so I did not want to try anything in fear I would have too many side effects and not be able to perform at work, so I suffered months and months of debilitating panic attacks. After I felt secure in my job I went t see my doctor, she told me to increase my dose which I did, with no relief in sight.

Eventually I had such a bad panic attack, it was the longest I had ever experienced, right here at work nonetheless, and my boss had to drive me to the hospital. They basically told me they could do nothing since I was not suicidal and their psych ward was full. They referred me to a local clinic. I immediately decreased my dose back to what I was on the prior years and had some relief. I went back to my doctor who only wanted me to increase me dose even more, despite me telling her I felt suicidal when I first increased the dose. I demanded a referral to see a psychiatrist and I have been waiting over 7 months now. The psychiatric hospital that my doctor referred me to called me in to sign a paper of consent for my file from my doctor. It was 7 months ago.

I am so scared to try a different kind of medication or increase my Effexor XR again. My fear is causing me to have more panic attacks than anything else. I didn't notice any side effects when I started Effexor XR, but increasing them caused me to feel all kinds of awful side effects. I believe I am suffering from post traumatic stress disorder and that my nightmare is resurfacing. But finding a good therapist has been just as big of a challenge. Anyhow that's my story... I am thankful to have found this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks. Is the psychiatrist you are waiting to see in one fo the General Hospitals in Montreal or at one of the specialized psychiatric hospitals?

I am so scared to try a different kind of medication or increase my Effexor XR again

You can take comfort in knowing it is not uncommon for the doctor to change from one antidepressant compound to another and to modify dosage as your needs and response to the medication changes. Becasue there is no "one size fits all" in treating anxiety and depression with the medications we have available, medical experience has shown that the compound and the dose must be tailored to suit each and every individual. This process can take time, months and even years to accomplish, so your patience and perseverance is paramount. Working with your doctor, reporting how you are responding to the medication in symptom relief and/or side effects is important for a successful outcome.

Have you telephoned the office of the psychiatrist to whom you are being referred to find out how much longer you might have to wait?

Pureheart

Hi Steve, I am waiting for a psychiatrist from the Hospital Sacre Coeur pavilion which specializes in psychiatry, it is situated a few blocks away from the hospital itself. I will have to return to see my doctor as I do not have their number. I was only told by my doctor that she sent my file there and that I would be contacted by someone. They contacted me in early spring but I have lost that number. May I ask if you specialize in psychiatry? If so I have a personal question I wanted an opinion on.

Thanks.

Retired

Pureheart,

I am not a physician nor a mental health professional, although I have had extensive contact with the field of mental health in connection with my working career as well as activities in other areas of mental health information and support.

I know the telephone number of Hopital Sacre Coeur is (514) 338-2222. Perhaps by calling that number and asking to be connected to the Department of Psychiatry, you could speak to a secretary or other administrative person who could look up your file.

Your identity is protected on the Forum, so would you feel comfortable to write your question in a reply to this post?

You should know that I will be offline from Friday Oct 15 for a few weeks, so if you post your question by the time I have left, one of our other volunteer Forum staff will address your question.

We will try to help you the best way we can.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.