More threads by WilliamCollins

I am a 21yr old male and I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was approximately 19-20yrs old. I have been seeing a psychiatrist and taking antipsychotic medication on a regular basis for more than a year now. The very first antipsychotic medication that I was prescribed was 2mgs of risperidone (also known as Risperdal). This dosage was gradually increased until I was taking 5mgs every night before bed. The side effects, which included physical and mental restlessness (also called "akathisia"), became too uncomfortable and this is why I switched to olanzapine (Zyprexa), which came as a great relief. I liked olanzapine but it made me very hungry and I gained 40lbs on it, and that's why I had to make another switch. The next trial medication on my doctor's list was, quetiapine (Seroquel), and I took a dosage of 400mgs for several months, which also wasn't too bad. Anything seemed to be better than the first medication (risperidone). Unfortunately, my doctor thought I was relapsing (as I thought I was getting better) and so he had me go back on the dreaded risperidone. I am currently on 3mgs of risperidone which I take, even though I don't want to, every night before bedtime.

A part of me wants to stop taking this medication. Sometimes, I'll go several hours without taking it because I just want to feel like the old me again. I really don't like this illness and I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I have an appointment coming up with my psychiatrist in a couple of days and I shall take that opportunity to get my medication switched, yet again, to something else, something new, and then in 6mths or so, sometime within this year, I will taper off whichever medication I'm on until I'm no longer on anything. That's the plan.

Thanks for reading.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, William. Welcome to Psychlinks.

The problem is that with schizophrenia you simply cannot go off your medication. If you do, it's just a matter of time before you have a full relapse. That, sadly, is the nature of the illness.

I can certainly understand your reluctance to stay on a medication if it makes you feel bad. Try to talk to the psychiatrist about this. There are other options besides Risperdal, some that you haven't yet tried. If you find you have trouble getting the psychiatrist to understand why you dislike the effects, try writing it down and having someone proofread it for you to make sure it's clear. Or alternatively if you can take a family member along with you to your appointment, perhaps he or she can help you get your point across to the psychiatrist.

While you are going to have to stay on medication probably for life, that doesn't mean your situation is hopeless. See http://forum.psychlinks.ca/heroes-and-survivors/7758-bill-macphee-schizophrenia-digest.html as just one example (there are many others) of how individuals with schizophrenia can lead productive and happy lives.

See also:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/heroes-and-survivors/21697-john-nash-a-brilliant-madness-online.html

Schizophrenia & Related Disorders

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/psychlinks-reviews/9366-the-center-cannot-hold-by-elyn-r-saks.html

Retired

I really don't like this illness and I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life

Hello William and thank you for joining us on Psychlinks. There are illnesses that require long term treatment and even lifelong treatment. If you were diagnosed as diabetic, you probably would not hesitate to take your insulin every day, because it would be keeping you alive and maintaining your quality of life.

The same is true with your present treatment, where, in order to maintain your healthy state and quality of life, you must continue taking your medication.

Your doctor is your partner in your health care, so if you notice your medication may not be working the way it once did, speak with your doctor keeping him/her in the information loop. By communicating with your doctor, you will find there may be ways to make your meds work better with less discomfort.

Don't give up,William. You can enjoy a good quality of life by working with your doctor and persevering with your medication treatment.

Keep us posted on developments.

Andy

MVP
Hi WilliamCollins Welcome to Psychlinks! :2thumbs:

Ditch your plan! lol I understand completely about not wanting to be on medication. I have been on those three meds and am on one currently and the side effects really do suck. Going off your medication will get you no where. You will end up relapsing. Finding the right medication is a process, going through all the side effects is not fun but once you find the right med for you it will have been worth it.

Maybe you could sort of negotiate (within reason of course) with your Dr. My Psychiatrist and I have a deal with meds because I told him that if he wanted me to stay on them then he needed to listen to my concerns about the medications and when I say I don't like the medication, it means I don't like it. Obviously I'm not suggesting to shoot down every medication, I mean after giving it a good honest hard try because some annoying side effects do go away. I think if you are honest with your Dr. he/she will do all they can to make taking meds an easier thing for you.

I understand that it is frustrating but please give it a try. I'm not saying you haven't tried already but just keep at it, something will work for you.

David Baxter said:
The problem is that with schizophrenia you simply cannot go off your medication. If you do, it's just a matter of time before you have a full relapse. That, sadly, is the nature of the illness.

I can certainly understand your reluctance to stay on a medication if it makes you feel bad. Try to talk to the psychiatrist about this. There are other options besides Risperdal, some that you haven't yet tried. If you find you have trouble getting the psychiatrist to understand why you dislike the effects, try writing it down and having someone proofread it for you to make sure it's clear. Or alternatively if you can take a family member along with you to your appointment, perhaps he or she can help you get your point across to the psychiatrist.

While you are going to have to stay on medication probably for life, that doesn't mean your situation is hopeless. See (I cannot currently post the link) as just one example (there are many others) of how individuals with schizophrenia can lead productive and happy lives.

I'm hoping that I'm an exception and will be able to live a life without medication. My mom knows someone who is a teacher at a University and isn't on medication regularly though she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and hears voices. This person only takes medication when she is relapsing, and then when she is feeling better, stops. I want to be like that.

Don't give up,William. You can enjoy a good quality of life by working with your doctor and persevering with your medication treatment.

Thank you.

Maybe you could sort of negotiate (within reason of course) with your Dr. My Psychiatrist and I have a deal with meds because I told him that if he wanted me to stay on them then he needed to listen to my concerns about the medications and when I say I don't like the medication, it means I don't like it. Obviously I'm not suggesting to shoot down every medication, I mean after giving it a good honest hard try because some annoying side effects do go away. I think if you are honest with your Dr. he/she will do all they can to make taking meds an easier thing for you.

I understand that it is frustrating but please give it a try. I'm not saying you haven't tried already but just keep at it, something will work for you.

Thank you.

The next med on my list is, Abilify. I'm hoping that this will be the one. Afterwards, I'm hoping that I can do without, without relapsing. I will always keep a spare bottle around, though.

Andy

MVP
The next med on my list is, Abilify. I'm hoping that this will be the one. Afterwards, I'm hoping that I can do without, without relapsing. I will always keep a spare bottle around, though.

Ultimately it is your decision what you want to do with meds. Personally I think if you can find a medication that works for you, then it would probably be best that you stay on it. Going on and off a medication every time you relapse will do you more harm than good. If you stay on the medication and are fairly stable then you can go on with your life, do what it is you like doing. If you go off it and just wait for another relapse, go back on it until your feeling better and then discontinue it again you will be putting your life back on hold over and over again. I don't want to be insensitive to your situation but Schizophrenia isn't something you can take a pill for one time and then you won't relapse again. It will happen. As you know stress can bring on a lot of your symptoms and life happens, you never know what is going to be thrown at you.

I know you will figure things out yourself, I'm just offering a bit of foresight. I wonder if your mother's friend has been living with the illness for long. If she has then maybe she has gotten to the point where she knows the little signs that would indicate she needs to get back on her medication before any of her major symptoms occur making her recovery longer.

Anyway, I'm babbling at you with good intentions. I do hope that you can find a medication that is as side effect free as possible ;) and I am hoping you will take some of my babbling into consideration. Take care.

The problem with only take meds when you are unstable is you never truly get to the point of stability. Do you understand you are teaching yourself to not listen to the voices but they will interfere with your level of life you want for yourself. Being on medication you can maintain a life that is without any symptoms of the voice without fear I f you choose to live without the meds your life will be more difficult as found out by many. Medication is what gives you a chance at a normal life it does not take away anything but it gives you stability of mind

I hope i am making sense talk with you psych doctor okay there are medication you can take every two weeks or even once a month now ask your doctor about them

Banned

Banned
Hi WilliamCollins,

Welcome to Psychlinks!! You'll find the people here are really knowledgeable and friendly.

I have to agree with the others though - ditch your plan. I can definitely appreciate how frustrating it is trying to find the right meds, and dealing with side effects, and not wanting the illness in the first place. The problem is, you have the illness, like it or not, and learning to live with it and be good to yourself is the next step in the process.

As Dr. Baxter said, there are other meds out there that your psychiatrist can try with you. When you find the right ones, it won't seem like such a chore and the side effects shouldn't be too horrendous. And, as a bonus, you'll have a quality of life where you'll feel good and want to stay on the meds to maintain that feeling.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yesterday, I was given a prescription for 10mgs of Zyprexa. I was also given a dissolvable tablet (10mgs Zyprexa) right at his (pdoc's) office. Yes, that's right... I don't have to take the dreaded Risperdal ever again!

Thanks for all your comments, everyone. You have given me a lot to think about, and quite frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do. However, I do eventually want to reduce my dose until I'm no longer on anything. Possible? Maybe yes. Does this mean that I'll never relapse and need to take meds again? Maybe no. Who knows? I certainly don't.

I hope I can eventually come off all medication and remain stable. I know that this could be possible (it has been possible for other people).

Cheers!

Retired

I was also given a dissolvable tablet (10mgs Zyprexa) right at his (pdoc's) office

Good news! What instructions did your doctor give you along with your prescription?

Keep us posted on your progress.

To take it once before bedtime. That's all.

I definitely feel better on this medication. Maybe this is the one? I hope so! One thing though, I wish it made me sleepy like the Risperdal did. I usually go to sleep once I start to feel exhausted.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.