More threads by cswhitchurch

Hi there,

My name is Carli, and I'm a new member here. I'm pretty excited to have stumbled upon this forum!

A little about me:

I'm a 2nd year MSW student in Chicago. My first internship was at a long-term and rehabilitative care facility (aka a nursing home), and i just started my second placement at a hospital, where I am doing individual and family therapy on their adult inpatient psych floor. It's neat :)

I'm in a clinical program, so my ultimate goal is to get my LCSW. For now, I'm trying to gain as much knowledge and experience in different areas of the field, to make myself more employable-- I've learned in life that circumstances change, and so I'm shying away from saying "I want to work with a _____ population" at this point.

I have my own issues that I've been in therapy for in the past, and am currently about to start therapy again because it seems like a good idea to have that while I'm learning how to DO therapy. I can see a lot of things "coming up" during this period, and I think it would be beneficial to be able to process things with someone other than my supervisor or classmates.

Some areas I'll probably be looking to explore (searching for threads....) are the practical aspects of doing therapy-- countertransference, self-disclosure, etc. Since I've had my own issues, one of the things I'm wondering is whether or not I should perhaps look into working in those areas-- for example, eating disorders. So many questions and much confusion over this!

Looking forward to further exploration... if I ever find some free time!

Retired

Hello Carli and welcome to Psychlinks!

It sound like your career prospects are pretty exciting!

Have a look around the Forum, and feel free to join in any of the ongoing discussions or start some of your own.

Let us know how we can help.

AmZ

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you will be able to help a lot of people with the use of your qualifications. Keep us updated! And good luck.

eva

MVP
Hi. Welcome to the forum! I think it's great that you have these exciting ambitions and that you want to help out others with their mental health. This is a great place to both give and receive help and support. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.