More threads by TheWaySheMoves

Hello, my name is Aaron, I'm 18 and I live in northern Alabama. Since i was in the 6th grade I've had problems in crowds. I would get angry, and I'd feel like I had to get out no matter what. The older I got, I'd say around 10th grade it got to where at times I couldn't breath when I had these feelings. I went to the Mental Institute locally and talked to a counselor. She told me it was anxiety, and put me on Prozac 90 Milligrams. I'm only in tenth grade and I'm put on Prozac. It never really helped the problem, it just made me not care about everything else. Later on I went to the family doctor, because I was having problems sitting in a classroom without breaking out in sweats and finding it hard to breath. My family doctor put me on Lexapro. I stayed on lexapro for about 2 months, with no more real problems with my anxiety as they called it, though it was summer and school was out, so no more sitting in crowds. I had no real problems with it except being ill in crowds for the next few years. In a crowd I would just get really irritable. My senior year came at school, and suddenly I'm having these problems again. This time however, they are worse. I got my first tattoo, and passed out, which we all thought was normal given the circumstance. I then had a sort of seizure at wal mart when I got my ear pierced, and this was the third piercing. Basically I just couldn't breath, and then I lost consciousness, but my mother said that I tensed up and my eyes stayed open. I just thought I had closed my eyes, I had no idea I did that. School was terrible. Every classroom I was in where I couldn't stand up I broke out in sweats, my stomach had butterflies in it, and I'd get lightheaded. Most of my classes were easy-going. I was able to sit in the back and go to the restroom when I had a problem. One class though, it was geometry. I didn't get along with the teacher in the first place. He moved me to the front and center of the room because I couldn't keep my mouth shut in the back or the room. Every day I would have an attack there, feeling like everyone was staring at me, and then when I'd break out in sweats, I knew for sure everyone was wondering why I was sweating, and it would get worse. I spoke to the teacher, and he had no compassion. I ended up dropping out of high school because I couldn't handle these attacks everyday. I Have been out of school since last October. Since then I've had no problems until now. I was sitting on the couch the other day with my roomate and it hit me, I couldn't breath, I started sweating, and I lost consciousness, I had another one of those siezures, eyes open, muscles tense, and I had put my hand in hot soup, and burned myself, and didn't realize it until I came back. Now I have these attacks more frequently than I ever have. I'm not under stress. I'm not in crowds at any time. They come at random times of day, no certain times, they come if I eat or if I don't, and they come with or without sleep. I have no idea why they come, and i haven't recognized any patterns when they do come. If I get up and walk around, I have no problems, if I stay sitting, I pass out or have a siezure, whatever you want to call what I do. I don't have enough money to see a professional. I had no idea who to talk to, and i really need some answers, I need something, because this is terrible, I have constantly felt worse than I've ever felt every day. Every day I have an attack, and my life can't function this way. I'd appreciate any kind of help from anyone.

Thank you
Aaron

Hello, my name is Aaron, I'm 18 and I live in northern Alabama. Since i was in the 6th grade I've had problems in crowds. I would get angry, and I'd feel like I had to get out no matter what. The older I got, I'd say around 10th grade it got to where at times I couldn't breath when I had these feelings. I went to the Mental Institute locally and talked to a counselor. She told me it was anxiety, and put me on Prozac 90 Milligrams. I'm only in tenth grade and I'm put on Prozac. It never really helped the problem, it just made me not care about everything else. Later on I went to the family doctor, because I was having problems sitting in a classroom without breaking out in sweats and finding it hard to breath. My family doctor put me on Lexapro. I stayed on lexapro for about 2 months, with no more real problems with my anxiety as they called it, though it was summer and school was out, so no more sitting in crowds. I had no real problems with it except being ill in crowds for the next few years. In a crowd I would just get really irritable. My senior year came at school, and suddenly I'm having these problems again. This time however, they are worse. I got my first tattoo, and passed out, which we all thought was normal given the circumstance. I then had a sort of seizure at wal mart when I got my ear pierced, and this was the third piercing. Basically I just couldn't breath, and then I lost consciousness, but my mother said that I tensed up and my eyes stayed open. I just thought I had closed my eyes, I had no idea I did that. School was terrible. Every classroom I was in where I couldn't stand up I broke out in sweats, my stomach had butterflies in it, and I'd get lightheaded. Most of my classes were easy-going. I was able to sit in the back and go to the restroom when I had a problem. One class though, it was geometry. I didn't get along with the teacher in the first place. He moved me to the front and center of the room because I couldn't keep my mouth shut in the back or the room. Every day I would have an attack there, feeling like everyone was staring at me, and then when I'd break out in sweats, I knew for sure everyone was wondering why I was sweating, and it would get worse. I spoke to the teacher, and he had no compassion. I ended up dropping out of high school because I couldn't handle these attacks everyday. I Have been out of school since last October. Since then I've had no problems until now. I was sitting on the couch the other day with my roomate and it hit me, I couldn't breath, I started sweating, and I lost consciousness, I had another one of those siezures, eyes open, muscles tense, and I had put my hand in hot soup, and burned myself, and didn't realize it until I came back. Now I have these attacks more frequently than I ever have. I'm not under stress. I'm not in crowds at any time. They come at random times of day, no certain times, they come if I eat or if I don't, and they come with or without sleep. I have no idea why they come, and i haven't recognized any patterns when they do come. If I get up and walk around, I have no problems, if I stay sitting, I pass out or have a siezure, whatever you want to call what I do. I don't have enough money to see a professional. I had no idea who to talk to, and i really need some answers, I need something, because this is terrible, I have constantly felt worse than I've ever felt every day. Every day I have an attack, and my life can't function this way. I'd appreciate any kind of help from anyone.

Thank you
Aaron

Suzette

Hi dear Aaron,

I recognize what you describe in the first half of your post: getting in panic in situations where it is either too crowded or when I don't feel the possibility to leave the place without everyone noticing me. To me they are panic attacks since when I cannot go away I would get completely in panic, with the symptoms you also described.

About the losing consciousness I don't really know what that is so I cannot be of help to you unfortunately.

What I do know is that medication for anxiety attacks only suppress the symptoms, but the attacks won't go away with it (at least that is how I see it).

Since I am dealing with many unsolved emotional issues they 'show up' when I feel I cannot escape somewhere. I think if I would get help at that very moment during an attack like when somebody would say: "keep breathing, don't leave, it is ok!" I think I would be confronted with my emotions and I even think one can at that moment get rid of some anxiety.

Compare it to a corn (?) you know what you can have underneath your feet. The most sensitive and painful part is the middle of it. A panic attack I consider the middle of my deep emotions.

So the acknowledgment for what you can experience I hope I have given that to you.

I hope that others will comment as well but also that you will get the help you need to start getting over your anxiety. With for instance, therapy sessions. But not medication only, that is not fair.

Kindest regards,

Suzette

Suzette

Hi dear Aaron,

I recognize what you describe in the first half of your post: getting in panic in situations where it is either too crowded or when I don't feel the possibility to leave the place without everyone noticing me. To me they are panic attacks since when I cannot go away I would get completely in panic, with the symptoms you also described.

About the losing consciousness I don't really know what that is so I cannot be of help to you unfortunately.

What I do know is that medication for anxiety attacks only suppress the symptoms, but the attacks won't go away with it (at least that is how I see it).

Since I am dealing with many unsolved emotional issues they 'show up' when I feel I cannot escape somewhere. I think if I would get help at that very moment during an attack like when somebody would say: "keep breathing, don't leave, it is ok!" I think I would be confronted with my emotions and I even think one can at that moment get rid of some anxiety.

Compare it to a corn (?) you know what you can have underneath your feet. The most sensitive and painful part is the middle of it. A panic attack I consider the middle of my deep emotions.

So the acknowledgment for what you can experience I hope I have given that to you.

I hope that others will comment as well but also that you will get the help you need to start getting over your anxiety. With for instance, therapy sessions. But not medication only, that is not fair.

Kindest regards,

Suzette

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Suzette is correct. With panic disorder, medication, at least initially, is usually a recommended part of the solution, but it is not the whole solution.

A therapist who understands and is experienced in treating anxiety disorders and specifically panic disorder can help you develop tools and strategies for anticipating and managing the anxiety/panic symptoms when they occur. The triggers are usually not just situations, as you might imagine, but also thoughts, self-talk... and how you label and react to the specific symptoms you experience when you feel anxious.

Ask your family doctor for a referral to a psychologist in your area (or possibly an anxiety disorders clinic that includes a psychologist).

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Suzette is correct. With panic disorder, medication, at least initially, is usually a recommended part of the solution, but it is not the whole solution.

A therapist who understands and is experienced in treating anxiety disorders and specifically panic disorder can help you develop tools and strategies for anticipating and managing the anxiety/panic symptoms when they occur. The triggers are usually not just situations, as you might imagine, but also thoughts, self-talk... and how you label and react to the specific symptoms you experience when you feel anxious.

Ask your family doctor for a referral to a psychologist in your area (or possibly an anxiety disorders clinic that includes a psychologist).

ThatLady

Another question comes to mind...have you ever had an EEG (electroencephalogram)? I think I'd see my family doctor and ask for a referral to a neurologist for a workup. What you describe can, indeed, be a type of seizure activity with an atypical aura. An EEG might help to pinpoint the problem, if this is the case. Additionally, seeing a psychologist can help you deal with the difficulties these events are causing in your life.

If you are having seizures, there are medications that either reduce the frequency of occurrance, or stop the seizures altogether.

Wishing you the best, and do keep us updated. :eek:)

ThatLady

Another question comes to mind...have you ever had an EEG (electroencephalogram)? I think I'd see my family doctor and ask for a referral to a neurologist for a workup. What you describe can, indeed, be a type of seizure activity with an atypical aura. An EEG might help to pinpoint the problem, if this is the case. Additionally, seeing a psychologist can help you deal with the difficulties these events are causing in your life.

If you are having seizures, there are medications that either reduce the frequency of occurrance, or stop the seizures altogether.

Wishing you the best, and do keep us updated. :eek:)

I've had MRI, CAT Scan, and X-rays, my medical doctor has told me it was asthma, then hes said it was acid reflux, and then he put me on mirtahzapan(sp?) because he thought it was a sleep disorder. I can't affor to talk to a difference professional. I really have no clue what to do. I read on WebMd that Xanax are prescribed for it, and since my doctor won't give me those I have to buy them on the streets, they seem to help, but I hate having to take them everytime I have an attack, which is sometimes twice a day, and not a day goes by I don't have atleast one attack. This is getting to a point where I'd rather be a vegetable and stay in the house than to do anything constructive, I've already quit three jobs in the past year because I couldn't go to work for fear I'd have an attack. This is killing my way of life, there must be something else I can do, or something thats free I can get help from. Also, what is someones opinion on Lexapro for this? becaues I stil lhave some but am afraid to take them unless I know they will help. I hate using drugs unless they are for some reason.

Aaron

I've had MRI, CAT Scan, and X-rays, my medical doctor has told me it was asthma, then hes said it was acid reflux, and then he put me on mirtahzapan(sp?) because he thought it was a sleep disorder. I can't affor to talk to a difference professional. I really have no clue what to do. I read on WebMd that Xanax are prescribed for it, and since my doctor won't give me those I have to buy them on the streets, they seem to help, but I hate having to take them everytime I have an attack, which is sometimes twice a day, and not a day goes by I don't have atleast one attack. This is getting to a point where I'd rather be a vegetable and stay in the house than to do anything constructive, I've already quit three jobs in the past year because I couldn't go to work for fear I'd have an attack. This is killing my way of life, there must be something else I can do, or something thats free I can get help from. Also, what is someones opinion on Lexapro for this? becaues I stil lhave some but am afraid to take them unless I know they will help. I hate using drugs unless they are for some reason.

Aaron

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What about seeing a psychologist or therapist, as others have mentioned? You can call different offices/facilities and ask for sliding scale fees.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What about seeing a psychologist or therapist, as others have mentioned? You can call different offices/facilities and ask for sliding scale fees.

Suzette

Hi Aaron,

Since this seems a situation that cannot last very much longer I wonder what do you think yourself would do you good, to make you feel better.

Taking the medication apparently does not help for a long time so you definitely need to do something different.

I also wonder what your doctor has to offer you since he seems to leave you with these attacks....?! This is not normal, why don't you find a doctor who helps you figuring things out and get you back on track again? Whether it is a physical cause, a mental cause or both, he should at least have a clue.

But the most important question is what you think you need to get out of this situation (leave out the costs and medication for now to get things straight).

Suzette

Suzette

Hi Aaron,

Since this seems a situation that cannot last very much longer I wonder what do you think yourself would do you good, to make you feel better.

Taking the medication apparently does not help for a long time so you definitely need to do something different.

I also wonder what your doctor has to offer you since he seems to leave you with these attacks....?! This is not normal, why don't you find a doctor who helps you figuring things out and get you back on track again? Whether it is a physical cause, a mental cause or both, he should at least have a clue.

But the most important question is what you think you need to get out of this situation (leave out the costs and medication for now to get things straight).

Suzette

I'm not really sure what it is thats causing this, I mean I can't think of anything that I could do differently to stop it, I know that if I feel an attack coming on and I play my guitar it'll go away, that and reading a good book are the only two things I've found that'll stop it dead in its tracks.

I'm not really sure what it is thats causing this, I mean I can't think of anything that I could do differently to stop it, I know that if I feel an attack coming on and I play my guitar it'll go away, that and reading a good book are the only two things I've found that'll stop it dead in its tracks.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From the little I have read, even if what you are having is a non-epileptic seizure (without or with panic attacks), stress-management techniques and seeing a therapist or psychiatrist would be indicated as part of treatment. The fact that relaxing activities like reading or playing guitar help abate the symptoms is another indication that therapy would be very helpful.

...with supportive care, involving psychological therapeutic intervention, events will very likely improve.

Non-Epileptic Seizures - Epilepsy Foundation

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From the little I have read, even if what you are having is a non-epileptic seizure (without or with panic attacks), stress-management techniques and seeing a therapist or psychiatrist would be indicated as part of treatment. The fact that relaxing activities like reading or playing guitar help abate the symptoms is another indication that therapy would be very helpful.

...with supportive care, involving psychological therapeutic intervention, events will very likely improve.

Non-Epileptic Seizures - Epilepsy Foundation

I spoke with my mother, and she has a Post Traumatic Stress issue since her mom died, and shes been on Zoloft for 12 years. Between both of our random mood swings and anxietys we've never quite gotten along very well, but we still talked, and she agreed to pay for me to talk to a psychiatrist at the local mental institution, so I'm very happy about that. I want to thank all of you have responded to my topic. I knew there was something wrong but its my nature to hold it in until it becomes unbearable, however this time the people on this forum motivated me to actually do something about it and I thank you. I will keep you updated on what the pshychiatrist says.

Aaron

I spoke with my mother, and she has a Post Traumatic Stress issue since her mom died, and shes been on Zoloft for 12 years. Between both of our random mood swings and anxietys we've never quite gotten along very well, but we still talked, and she agreed to pay for me to talk to a psychiatrist at the local mental institution, so I'm very happy about that. I want to thank all of you have responded to my topic. I knew there was something wrong but its my nature to hold it in until it becomes unbearable, however this time the people on this forum motivated me to actually do something about it and I thank you. I will keep you updated on what the pshychiatrist says.

Aaron

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.