More threads by Katherine_psy

I'm living in Russia now and hope to get out of here asap. I'm looking for some available programs with scholarships in America, Australia, Canada, or the UK. Is there any way you could recommend me a good one?

I'm really desperate, as my life is passing by me and I'm still in search of my place in life. At 35 a woman is supposed to have either her own family with children, or at least a good career. As for me, I have neither of them. I've just recently found out that what I'm truly ready to dedicate my life to is psychology. I've enrolled to one of the local universities and plan to get my diploma next May, but I feel that ghis knowledge is not enough. In addition to that, I don't see myself working here I this country as a psychologist.

If anyone knows of any good programs and can share with me, I will be so grateful!

With warm regards,
Kate

Quote Reply

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There are many good universities in Canada (and the US but I live in Canada). I'm not sure what the procedure is, though. Do you get acceptance at a university and then apply for a student visa? Or do you apply for a general visa and then after you land in Canada you select a university to study at?

To work as a psychologist in Canada (I think this probably applies to the US as well) you will need a minimum of a Masters degree in psychology.

It might be more expedient to apply to a program in social work where you can work with a Bachelor of Social Work degree.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From what I remember years ago as a computer science contributor at The Grad Cafe, your best bet for funding (for anything in social science -- as opposed to computer science and the like) is Canada since they already fund applicants. But I don't know how much of that has changed.

There are many good universities in Canada (and the US but I live in Canada). I'm not sure what the procedure is, though. Do you get acceptance at a university and then apply for a student visa? Or do you apply for a general visa and then after you land in Canada you select a university to study at?

To work as a psychologist in Canada (I think this probably applies to the US as well) you will need a minimum of a Masters degree in psychology.

It might be more expedient to apply to a program in social work where you can work with a Bachelor of Social Work degree.

I'm currently getting my MBA in the University of the People in America online, and it's like a torture. I'm completely disinterested in what I'm studying and that is why it's talking so long. As for psychology, every minute I spend reading and studying is felt like a precious moment. I would love to get a master's degree in it, I'm just not sure what to do with my unfinished MBA.

As for the procedure, I used to study in America and I think the rules are pretty much the same for Canada, which means that I should first find a university with a scholarship, get into it and then get my visa and other stuff. Guess I'll just go through all the psychology scholarships and see what is available.

Thank you for your help anyway.

With best regards,
Kate

From what I remember years ago as a computer science contributor at The Grad Cafe, your best bet for funding (for anything in social science -- as opposed to computer science and the like) is Canada since they already fund applicants. But I don't know how much of that has changed.

I would love to study and live in Canada)) It's one of the best countries in the world with the great longevity reaching 90 years))

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
As for the procedure, I used to study in America and I think the rules are pretty much the same for Canada, which means that I should first find a university with a scholarship, get into it and then get my visa and other stuff.
Right. At least in the past, many foreign students seeking admission to US graduate schools said the hard part was getting funding. The student visa was relatively easy in most cases. But I was mostly chatting with people in India seeking computer science masters/PhDs.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some years ago, I was trying to obtain a postdoctoral position at a US university.

The university accepted me on condition I obtain funding. Canada agreed to funding if I had confirmation of a postdoctoral position.

Caught in a vicious circle, I eventually gave up on it and stayed in Canada.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
To increase your chances, you may also want to consider the field of Human Computer Interaction (or Human Factors). In the US, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, and others have such programs. There are a few psychologists who elected against clinical work and went that route eventually anyway.

(Personally, I love the field of information visualization, which is a subset of information science.)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Just found this program, which is an interesting combination:

Food for thought/research since therapy will become more and more digital:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.