More threads by arnett

arnett

I joined this forum on the suggestion of a very dear friend who said I would find intelligent conversation here and not the negativity and "b!tch, moan, and complain" attitude that I find so often.

As for the basics, I am 41 years old, I am a mother to a three year old daughter and a five year old son. I have full custody of both children. I am qualified to contribute on this board in various ways: I have a diagnosis of recurrent major depression, BPD (which I'm happy to say is fairly controlled these days), I'm in recovery from prescription drug abuse, I'm a survivor of domestic violence and I recently was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

I have had recurrent major depression find me at various times in my life since I was sixteen years old. I have gotten very good at recognizing the symptoms of a slide in that direction and don't usually find myself all the way into the dregs of a full blown depression anymore as I am able to get the needed help before that happens.

The BPD which was so evident in my 20's and early 30's has become fairly tame as I have learned coping skills through DBT and just lessons in life.

I have 2 years clean time today as a matter of fact from the abuse of prescription painkillers such as opiates and barbituates. I no longer use these. I still have migraines, but I make do with OTC help of Excedrin, since triptan drugs give me side effects.

My ex-husband was an abuser, mostly using emotional and psychological means over the physical ways of abuse. He was also physically abusive to the children, thus I have the full custody and he has supervised visitations.

I was just diagnosed recently with fibromyalgia. I'm learning to make some adjustments, but I'm certainly not going to let this define me. I'm looking for ways to make my life easier and better with this syndrome.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning what I can!!

Cathy

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:hithere: Cathy, :welcome: to Psychlinks!

:congrats: on two years clean of prescription drug abuse! That is amazing work! :2thumbs:

Fiver

What the HECK is that avatar, that's what I want to know.

Again, congratulations on the two year hash mark. I'm proud of you. I hope you're proud of you, too. And I'm glad you finally made your way over, because regardless of where you are along the road, this is a place where you will find intelligent and thoughtful responses to things that make you realize you had feelings and ideas about things you never knew were loitering in your head. Plus, the dress code is very relaxed. (Posting in pajamas is not discouraged, but posting naked is absolutely one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kinda things.)

I'm glad you made it over, Cathy. Did you bring us donuts?

Retired

Hello Cathy, and welcome to Psychlinks! Hoe you find the Forum informative and enjoyable.

Feel free to join in any discussion or start some of your own.

My guess for your avatar is hazy filtered sunshine in among trees.

:2thumbs:

welcome cathy :hithere: you sound like you've really taken control of your life, and i really admire your spirit with regards to the fibromyalgia. that by no means is an easy thing to live with. i look forward to your posts :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.