More threads by Lil

Lil

Hi everyone my name is Lil, I'm 20 and I have had OCD since I was about 4yrs old. My parents took me to see someone and I overcame alot of the irrational behaviour- for example this one time I refused to get out of the car and go into the bank with mum because i didnt have any shoes on. I was convined that there were needles on the footpath that I would step on and contract aids from. I knew in my right mind that there wasnt and mum even showed me that there wasn't but still I could not overcome this obsessive thought. I also thought that germs were being carried through the air and into my mouth so I began to compulsively spit into a tissue. I would never swallow as I thought I would get a disease. As I got older and had more sessions with a professional I overcame alot of these thoughts. However I have found that in times of stress they come back. I have just learnt to hide them. Which is apparently a very common thing to do.

Recently both my mother and father have each been diagnosed with cancer and are fighting their seperate battles as we speak. You can imagine how irtrational my fears are getting at the moment. All my old fears have returned plus some new ones. I would like to chat to someone who has any info on becoming obsessed with certain people? this also seems to be a re-occuring problem it also causes alot of angst. would love to chat to someone! Cheers!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Welcome, Lil.

I have found that in times of stress they come back. I have just learnt to hide them. Which is apparently a very common thing to do.
That's correct: OCD symptoms do get worse (and evolve into new forms) at times of stress -- I think the best way to manage them is often to identify them as the way you worry...

any info on becoming obsessed with certain people? this also seems to be a re-occuring problem
Not sure what you mean by "obsessed with certain people"...

Lil

um ok well I have a tendency to become almost addicted to spending time with certain friends of mine over the years. It gets to the point where hanging with anyone else seems dull and unexciting. These people are usually quite dramatic, fun people. I suppose it has something to do with being attracted to drama because it makes you feel something. I get despressed if I dont see them. I think about them constantly. It's not a scary stalker obsession but the thoughts of this person invade my brain constantly. I find myself making descisions about clothes to buy, food to buy, music to buy based on what they would like.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That sounds like you are looking for approval from those people... is it usually one person at a time? or is it a specific group of people?

Lil

usually one particular person at a time. I'm usually attracted to their talent. I guess I kind of begin to idolize them so thats probably right- I must be trying to get approval. They have all been artists, one was a dancer, the next a painter, now a playwright!

HA

Welcome, lil

Sorry to hear that your mom and dad are dealing with cancer. I hope they recover quickly. Glad you joined us.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.