More threads by jkb

jkb

Well I'm a newbie here lol. I just wanted to introduce myself before I head off the computer. I suffer from agora with panic as well as probably social anxiety as well. Possibly some others to lol.

I am a 30 yr old woman who is trying desp. to get out of this agora. I am just about housebound and have been for about 2 yrs now. I was diagnosed with panic disorder when i was 15 I believe, shorty after a family incident. I will never forget the first panic panic attack! lol.

Oh gosh sorry if this is jumbled but there's so much to me and my story so I'm trying to short form it all.

I guess I will just fast fwd for now. The agora slowly crept up on me. Yet looking back I can see the behaviours/signs. I just wish that my doctor at the time did as well or I don't think I'd be where I am today. Maybe I would I'm not sure.

I guess I'm just looking for more support etc. I need to get better. I want and need to be able to go out and enjoy life. I am currently on ODSP and have next to nill real life support system.

I have made progress with the agora however with this disorder comes set backs and boy am I in one now. I was able to make it to a few small stores around here, now I can not again. I had a major panic attack one day while going out to the store, froze, took my water and a half of xanax, breathed yet i could not shake it. So I fled home. That was 3 mths ago.

I hate this disorder I do. I call it the demon. I am trying to keep at the baby steps, going out as much as I can without sending myself into a pa yet I'm stuck...and well here I am.

Ok I think i've written enough for now.

I just know that i need to get better, I need to be able to get to my doctors in a month or less, I want to live again.

I'm glad I found this site .

Thank you,
Jen

ps I spell horrible lol.

Retired

Hello Jen!

Are you currently receiving treatment for your agoraphobia or is the appointment next month a new start?

Do you have someone who can accompany you on your appointments?

Does the VON provide support services that might be helpful in your situation?

Mrs. King

Hello Jen! I used to suffer from agora in my late teens/ early twenties. Of course, every case is different, but I found it so helpful once I had learned to drive because I never had to depend on anyone to get me home again after that! I was able to go out, because I trusted myself to get me home as soon as I started to feel uncomfortable. Anyway, even if this has nothing to do with your agora, I suppose my point is that it can be overcome. I still find places like London very intimidating, but these days I can go, whereas before I went to work in a taxi, came home in a taxi, and that was my life.
I've just realised, speaking to you about it, that the root of my agorophobia seems to have been a distrust of other people: fear of attack, or fear of not being protected by those I was with. Is it the same with you?

Retired

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) provides an insightful overview of panic disorder HERE

As well as a helpful booklet in pdf format HERE

The Canadan Mental Health Association has info HERE

jkb

TSOW said:
Hello Jen!

Are you currently receiving treatment for your agoraphobia or is the appointment next month a new start?

Do you have someone who can accompany you on your appointments?

Does the VON provide support services that might be helpful in your situation?

I am curr. on one med a benzo..xanax and am kind of working with my family doctor..

No its not a new start just my reg. doctor. I was doing counselling but had to stop for awhile due to finances so i do alot of online support or did..still do..another long story lol. I hope to do up my budget and see if i can pay for whom i was dealing with before. I really liked her...and we went at my pace, starting with online therapy and it was gong really good, and then i got the nerve to start doing telephone calls with her.

Nope Ihave no one to accompany me. Before my on line support losses (will explain later) I had one amazing friend of 2 yrs that stayed on the phone with me while i went in the taxi etc..for yep I fear travelling to !

I will look into the sites you gave me. Thank you!

jkb

Mrs. King said:
I've just realised, speaking to you about it, that the root of my agorophobia seems to have been a distrust of other people: fear of attack, or fear of not being protected by those I was with. Is it the same with you?

First ty for the welcome and also congrats on your successes with this disorder!

You hit the nail on the head to a certain degree..distrust of others..a big thing for i have had MANY stab me the back etc, and a few losses over the last few months of friendships (online but still), as well as previous issues with people that have betrayed me. I know this has impacted my recovery.

hmm..a lot to think about and a lot to read here to.

Thanks again..and well so much to read here ! :)

Retired

JKB,

Here is your best option as an Ottawa resident:

Contact the Anxiety Disorders Assoc of Ontario at (613) 729-6761 or view their website CLICK HERE

This group provides information, support and home visits to persons diagnosed with agoraphobia.

Let us know the outcome of your inquiry.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.